Wow companies are getting serious

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
My mom just called me and told me that her boss is calling a meeting for all fat people in her department and the skinny people are free to go home at the end of the day but fat people need to say-- It's not the first time that I heard of companies trying to beat the fat but usually they do it with a weight loss challenge or something

Replies

• mrsyac2
    Options
    My mom just called me and told me that her boss is calling a meeting for all fat people in her department and the skinny people are free to go home at the end of the day but fat people need to say-- It's not the first time that I heard of companies trying to beat the fat but usually they do it with a weight loss challenge or something
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Serious about a lawsuit maybe. I can think of several state and fed laws that that violates.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Uh.... that's called discrimination! :explode:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Uh.... that's called discrimination! :explode:

I agree, but then I understand that they are trying to lower their costs to the health care. But telling people they're "fat" and singleing them out???? :noway: I've known more 'skinny-fat' people that have more health issues than the 'fat' people!!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    They call me fat... I tell them to @#^(*&^#$*#! off! :angry:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I thought it was discrimination too- but then again obesity is so huge right now- Other countries are getting on the ban-wagon to stop it China just passed a law that says peoples waist can't be so big for men and women- and if it is they need to go on a diet and fitness routine and if they still don't lose they will start getting fined
  • cwilson715
    cwilson715 Posts: 130
    Options
    wow this is crazy! Most people eat becuase they are stressed about work and they sit all day having to deal with angry people! I think we should be like Spain don't they close everything in the middle of the day for siesta (spelling??) That would be awesome. P.S. I hope I didn't offend anybody if I am totally wrong.
  • Kaylene
    Kaylene Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Unfortuneatly, being over-weight isn't a protected class......and I am hearing more and more about this subject.

In one of my journals I received this week, there was a whole article about companies not hiring over-weight women and how it is getting harder, and it's legal!!

What a shame!! :angry:
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    Our company implimented this plan last year that had several health "goals" and depending on how many of them you meet the company gives you a certain amount in your HRA fund.

It's like Cholesteral, Smoking, BMI and blood pressure. I failed the BMI and smoking last year but I'm all set on both of those this year!!! WOO!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I really believe that it's a good idea for people to get healthier, and for the companies they work for to help them towards that goal. Where my mom works, they give them a YMCA membership every year. But they don't force it on them. I personally don't believe that a person's size affects their ability to do a particular job. If it did, they wouldn't be able to do it every day. The choices a person makes in their personal life, whether it is to weigh 350 pounds, or to smoke cigarettes, or anything else, do NOT affect their ability to do their job. When it starts affecting their job and the quality of their work, then I believe that actions should be taken to fix the problem, but it should be done on a case-to-case basis. At least that's my personal belief.
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The word is getting really crazy now. If my boss said anything about my weight id probally walk OUT:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pamela x
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Unfortuneatly, being over-weight isn't a protected class......and I am hearing more and more about this subject.

In one of my journals I received this week, there was a whole article about companies not hiring over-weight women and how it is getting harder, and it's legal!!

What a shame!! :angry:

I have heard of people not being chosen because they were over weight (Im not talking just 20lbs) Alot of shows have put people in fat suits to see if people treat them differently and they do- Its sad but it happens- America is the fattest country- My husband who goes to 3rd world countries and sees people over there and comes back to the USA and has a entire different perspective on things and also is bothered when he sees someone overweight morbidly obese going to mcdonalds and other fast food chains then wondering how they got so big--
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I think for my mom its a good idea she needs a push to lose some weight- I love my mom but she is getting bigger and bigger as time goes by she says she is on a diet but then when nobody is around will shove junk in her face--

My sisters job did a similar thing everyone in the office HAD to lose weight and she did which is great for her- Maybe now my mom won't make excuses and get the motivation that she needs and stops telling me to stop losing weight
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Actually, obesity is not currently protected (at least not specifically) by title VII. You can not descriminate on phyical characteristics (generally). There are some jobs where the nature of the job allows employers to disqualify someone who can not meet the physical requirements of the job.

Right now, most companies will charge you more for your benefits premiums if you smoke....and it's legal. There is clear research that demonstrates the relationship to smoking and poor health which means that smokers use a greater percentage of the benefits than non-smokers. Is it fair to expect the non-smokers to subsidize the health care costs of smokers.? Especially when smoking is a clear personal choice that you make regardless of the warnings. Not only is this legal, it is very much accepted by society in general as fair. There is now a company that refuse to hire anyone who smokes. It went to court and it was upheld. I think it's in appeal now. But, bottom line the courts decided that the company had a right to demand that their employees not smoke. AT ALL, not just on the job. They actually tested their employees after giving them a year of warning and offering free smoking cessation programs. The employees who failed to quit were let go. (By the way--don't beat me up on this...I'm not saying that I agree or disagree. I'm just saying that it's happening now.)

With the rising cost of health care and the impact it has on a company's benefits cost (and therefore their profits) there are a number of companies that are beginning to explore possible solutions.
    Obesity is a known factor in a number of health issues. Admittedly, in is not a clear "choice" but I would argue that most of us have to accept some personal responsibility for our weight issues. With the exception of some rare medical issues, our weight gain did not just "happen".

There are many companies that are putting wellness programs in to increase awareness and to help find solutions for employees who have weight issues. I would not be surprised if, in the near future you see companies charging more for benefits premiums for those who are overweight. Again, I'm not at all sure that it isn't a fair reaction. Also, we've seen a lot of political concern in the last few years over the "obesity epidemic". I would not be surprised to see some kind of political reaction in the next year or so either. There are already some schools who are putting in programs for overweight children.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of this, I dont think it is fair to single them out "hey fat people stay late after work today..." because there are different levels of being heavy,obese, you just cant say that. That is pretty disgusting to me, but I do think that if a company wants to do that then they should have a chart(for weight to height ratio) and request that their employees get into a healthy bmi. There are so many problems associated with being overweight, it is so unhealthy, and I cant believe there are people who "enjoy" or pretend to enjoy being heavy. Can you imagine what our nation would be like if everyone was in the healthy range?? People would have more energy to enjoy life therefore would probably be happier in general to everyone and would probably perform their job better because of it. they have done this with smoking, and maybe weight loss is next. but I def think it needs to be done in a professional manner and with incentive for the individual besides better health.
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    how humiliating....that makes me sick to my stomach to think id be at that meeting....uck- how sad, they should call EVERYONE to the meeting about over all health, not just overweight people
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    how humiliating....that makes me sick to my stomach to think id be at that meeting....uck- how sad, they should call EVERYONE to the meeting about over all health, not just overweight people
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

I agree. If someone who has a good BMI eats KFC everyday, I'm not sure they are healthier than someone with obese BMI. If the company demanded EVERYONE do something, fine - like say walk 30 minutes a day - but not just "fat people". Who is fat anyway? Are we going to regulate diet as well? No one is allowed to eat hydrogenated oils? :explode:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The hospital I work at pays non-smokers $10 a month to be non-smokers. Next year, it will be an additional $10 a month to be within a certain BMI and blood pressure and blood glucose levels. I fall into all the above. I love it.

This is a good program, because it doesn't force those overweights to do anything at all. You just don't get a reward. Those who can show they are under a doctors care for the conditions associated with the reasons why they're not meeting those criteria are entitled to receive the weekly bonus.