5 ingredients or less..............

Options
sbwood888
sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
Anybody have a recipe that only calls for a few ingredients....say 5 or less? I get easily intimidated by recipes that call for a bunch of "stuff". Love the easy stuff..........I'll share one I tried last night........easy and yummy:

Chicken breast
olive oil
Mrs. Dash
onions
soy sauce

All you do is cut the chicken breasts into chunks and liberally apply Mrs. Dash. Put some olive oil in an electric frying pan and cook the chicken chunks until they are almost done. Add some sliced or coarsely chopped onions and about a 1/4 cup soy sauce and cook until the onions are soft. I served mine over rice and it was soooooo good. :smokin:

Replies

• emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My fave is very similar, but with red wine and chopped garlic in place of the soy sauce and mrs dash. Also, I use red onions--when the cook down, they are so sweet and yummy!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Now that's my kinda cooking!!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Curry brown sugar chicken

-Chicken breast
    -Curry powder
    -Salt (pepper)
    -Garlic powder (optional)
    -Brown sugar

Season chicken breast with curry, garlic and salt, then "pack" on the brown sugar
    Bake in the oven until cooked :)
    Very delish!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Trying searching http://www.foodnetwork.com/5-ingredient-fix/index.html. Claire Robinson is one of the chefs on the Food Network and one of her shows is called "5 Ingredient Fix."
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    there is a cookbook out that has recipes 5 ingredients or less-can't think of the name/author off the top of my head currently.

You can also make chicken fajitas:

Chicken breasts-cut into thin strips
    sliced sweet onion
    Peppers-green, red, yellow, orange
    fajita seasoning with water
    oil/noncooking spray

cook chicken breast in pan until no longer pink-remove from pan,
    Add more spray/oil and sautee the peppers and onions for a few minutes.
    put the chicken back in the pan and add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water and fajita seasoning
    mix and cook for a few minutes.

I usually serve these over rice.
  • dreamm
    dreamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi try the website below, also available as an APP on I-phone

http://www.sparkrecipes.com

Enjoy
  • c031588
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms can be really easy.

I like doing this

Cheese (whatever kind you like)
    Spinach
    Portobella mushroom cap
    Breadcrumbs
    Butter

I slightly cook the spinach in a pan with butter (I also added a little bit of garlic, salt and pepper, onions would be good too). I personally don't like my spinach cooked so you can cook it as much or as little as you want (but remember its going in the oven after)

Clean the mushroom up, put your cheese on the mushroom cap, top the mushroom with your spinach mixture (really you can add anything, doesnt have to be spinach, you can add peppers too, or ground meat but I'm a vegetarian so I don't do meat) Then top it with breadcrumbs.

Bake until the mushroom is done (typically at 350 degrees it takes 15-20 minutes)

I'll eat this with a side of rice!
  • jeneil4
    Options
    I found a recipe book that is 5 ingredients or less, I can not believe how many things you can make that are so simple and sounds so good. I got it at Chapters on Clearance for 10$ or check out http://www.foodnetwork.com/5-ingredient-fix/index.html She has a great show and makes all kinds of great thing that look amazing and easy. Good luck cooking,
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago, a friend made Chicken Philly's. Just grill chicken breasts, shred them. Add grilled onion and pepper and melt monterrey jack over them. Serve on a bun if you want the carbs, eat with a fork if you don't.

Last week I made Italian Beef Burritos. My husband loves them. Cook and drain ground beef. Add and cook chopped onion and 2 sweet peppers. Stir in a robust pasta sauce, toss in a tortilla, top with shredded mozzarella and eat. Yum. I can't remember where I got that recipe.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    BBQ pulled pork/chicken

Either I pork loin or a pack of boneless skinless chicken breast

1 bottle kraft barbeque sauce (we like the honey one)

juice from 1 orange

Place in crock pot

Low for 8 hours

Low cal, high protien the whole family loves
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think it can depend on a bunch of stuff... do you count staples like salt and pepper?

Here's one I shared with some other people recently:

Pasta - like linguine or spaghetti)
    Shrimp
    Oil
    Garlic
    Veggies

1. Peel & devein 1lb shrimp (give or take depending on how many ppl are eating)
    2. get pasta started
    3. blanche veggies (i like broccoli and asparagus) in salt water for about a minute or two
    4. heat oil and 4 cloves minced garlic in fry pan. (again more if you are feeding more people). add shrimp.
    5. sautee shrimp for a couple minutes (they cook quickly), and toss in blanched veggies. add fresh black pepper to taste.
    6. toss in pasta to coat pasta with garlicky goodness.
    7. Nom!

Another:

Chicken breast
    bbq sauce
    rice
    broccoli/asparagus/squash/zucchini/ whatever veggie

- grill chicken breast and brush with bbq sauce
    - steam broccoli and cook rice
    - put on plate and enjoy

And one more:

Pork tenderloin
    Apricot preserves (if using sugar free make sure it's made with splenda or another heat safe fake sugar)
    Green veggie of choice (I'm a broccoli and asparagus addict)
    Cauliflower
    Garlic

- salt and pepper pork tenderloin that has been trimmed of it's silver skin. Roast in oven at like 350 or 375 for about 30 mins, depending on the size (cooked to 160F, I believe is the temp).
    - meanwhile, steam up veggies, cauliflower separate, if you can
    -when tenderloin is cooked, melt some apricot preserves in microwave or in a small sauce pan on stove, then baste the tenderloin with the preserves, bake for about 5 mins to set preserves.
    - mash up cauliflower with garlic and butter/milk, if/as needed
    -serve sliced tenderloin with mashed cauliflower and green veggies

Now I'm hungry.
  • Cilla39
    Options
    Great to read your recipe which i will try but what is Mrs Dash ?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    the 5 ingredient vegetarian cookbook is quite great!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It's high sodium but low everything else, and a complete meal: I call it Chinese Chicken

1 part soy sauce
    1 part white vinegar
    2 parts water

however much bone-in chicken your family will eat.

Simmer the chicken in the soy sauce/vinegar/water mixture until done (20-30 min). Serve with steamed rice and a steamed green vegetable (I like broccoli or broccoli and cauliflower with this). Pour the sauce over everything.

Great ideas here, thanks everyone!

Enjoy!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Great to read your recipe which i will try but what is Mrs Dash ?

Mrs. Dash is a salt free seasoning. You buy it in the spice aisle. It comes in a sprinkle container like any other spice. It is pretty tasty. It comes in lots of different blends. I use Table Blend most of the time.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    OK.... this one has 6 ingredients, the olive oil is for cooking the chicken so it doesn't count...This is so so good!

Honey Balsamic Chicken

Ingredients

1lb chicken breast
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp honey
    1 1/2 tsp of dried thyme

1 tsp olive oil

Directions

Combine first 3 ingredients; sprinkle over both sides of chicken.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 7 to 8 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.

Transfer chicken to a platter; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-low; add vinegar and honey to pan. Simmer 1 minute or until glaze thickens; stir constantly. Pour glaze over chicken. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half).
  • dispatcherbeware
    Options
    Will differently check out that website.
  • Cilla39
    Options
    Hello do you have a recipe for turkey mince please.?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have an entire cookbook that's 3 ingredients or less...try googling them, there should be quite a few that come up