Calorie question

Options
If I am allowed 1700 + calories a day and I stay around 1200 will I be ok?

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggestion going so low too soon. You wanna work you way down or your body will adjust to that amount and you'll plateau.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You're allowed 1700 with a goal of losing how much per week?
  • kdavis74
    kdavis74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I suggest to follow the 1700 a day and when your body adjusts to the 1700 and your exercise increases to allow more calories you can change the system to what you want.
  • alysiatubbs
    Options
    it depends on how much you were eating before and how much you are working out. If you are working out supper heavy you are going to want those 1700. if eating 1700 makes you feel super stuffed you can cut it back. This program just doesn't want you to go over. If you do you will not meet your weight loss goal.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    While you have enough to lose to withstand that kind of deficit, it's often not the best strategy. A lower deficit (and slower loss) is most often more effective in the long term in several ways.

For most people, eating that little (especially at the beginning) feels like deprivation and is more likely to lead to binges and falling off the wagon. A moderate deficit is much easier to adjust to and enable you to make healthy lifestyle changes that become HABITS, not just "dieting". And once those binges begin, your body will often be more apt to store more fat - leading to weight gain in a shorter period.

Also, it is often hard for people just starting out and new to eating healthier to find the foods that supply enough nutrition on just 1200 cals. It can be done, of course, but if you are new to it, smaller changes are easier to adapt to and more likely to ensure you get all the nutrients you need.

Finally, rapid weight loss has many risks (gallbladder issues, hair loss, menstrual cycle issues, hormonal issues, kidney/liver issues). Unless you are being supervised by a doctor and nutritionist, it is not the best strategy. Also, during rapid weight loss, your skin is less likely to reduce at the same rate, leading to more problematic extra skin.

Slow and steady is healthier and easier to accomplish, mentally and physically. Be the tortoise, not the hare! :flowerforyou: