Do you count fruit?

Options
When you count your calories do you have to count fruit or not? I have heard both ways.

Replies

• yoghurtand
    Options
    I would say yes, because fruit can be significantly calorific in larger quantities. And if you're eating it through the day, it'll definitely add up.
  • monica208
    Options
    I coun everything I eat. Even diet soda
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yep...If I bite it, I write it.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Why would you not count fruit?
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yes - The whole not counting fruit and veg thing is why I left Weight Watchers.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    You definitely count fruit. It has calories too.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think WW doesn't count fruit and veggies. I might be mistaken though.

I count all calories. I just don't count the natural sugars in fruit towards my daily sugar intake.
  • Heybaby25
    Heybaby25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I count everything, even sugar free gum (shockingly it is five calories a stick!)
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    Yep...If I bite it, I write it.

Ditto
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Fruit has calories and carbs and sugar so you need to count it. The best thing to do is get a food scale and weight it.
  • larryj87
    Options
    I agree with the others, count everything. I really like this program because the servings are so granular making it easy to count even the smallest intake, like a small square of chocolate. The whole point is to get an easy visual into approximately how many calories you are eating, and probably just as important, what you are eating. For example, I've always thought I've eaten pretty well, but I've noticed at a glance since using the diary I really don't get enough fresh fruit and vegetables, good info. I also think it's important to realize it's a guessing game sometimes with trying to equate what you eat to what's in the database. Better to guess than not enter anything at all. I tend to guess on the high side if I think what's closest is too low, and sometimes I search internet recipes to get a better calorie count for what I think is in what I ate.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do for sure, especially since it's all carbs
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Aside from calories, you should log it to keep track of other nutritional values. i.e. carbs (natural sugar in fruit) and fiber etc etc.

This isn't all about counting calories, it's about balancing your life with your food.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    fruit and veggies , whether raw or canned has carbs, sugar and calories so you need to count them.
  • ahayter82
    Options
    I count everything that goes in my mounth including gum, diet pop ect. I found that some fruits have higher calorie amounts then other so it adds up.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way, there is more calories in a large apple then there are in the oatmeal raisin cookies I have at home. Not counting fruits and veggies could seriously halt a persons progress. For example, yesterday fruits and veggies added up to over 300 calories. Going over 300+ calories everyday can add up quickly. I'm surprised that there are weight loss programs that encourage this.

Count everything, condiments too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yes. All calories count :huh: and the various nutrients in fruit (Vitamin C,B, Potassium etc.) are all important to a well balanced life/food plan.

cool video banner, 123456654321....!!