What is your 1 mile run time?

Options

Replies

• swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It generally takes me about 11 minutes running outside, I'm not the fastest - but I have never really concentrated on my speed, just simply doing it is enough for me hehe
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and proud to say I run a mile at around 8 minutes and always working on improving my time. I ran the all Women's 5k at the state capitol in Sacramento and came in 227th place out of 2854 participants and 37th out of 469 in my age group. I kind of screwed myself, but putting myself right in the middle of the LARGE crowd at the beginning, but it was still fun and I was proud of where I finished! :D
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Started running / jogging in early June .. I am up to 11:19 seconds for a mile (5.3mph). I might could run a single mile faster, but that is average for the 3.5-3.75 miles I run.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    7 min and 45 sec =[

lol now i can do a sub 6 min mile. wow! improvement :D !!!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Just came across this thread and thought it could do with a revival. I'm really keen to see how many of the original posters here are still running and how they have improved on their times.

Of course everyone else can post their times too.

I did my 1 mile time check for the first time ever last night and did it in 8:15. I look forward to coming back here in a couple of months and laughing at my old time :laugh: :tongue:
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Running is not my favorite thing to do as my shins hurt almost immediately, but if I can get a treadmill (wish they weren't so spendy) I've vowed to try running again. (I haven't ran since I had to in the Army Reserves over 6 years ago) I'm pretty sure my time will be awful, but I'm definitely curious to see where I'm at.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I could run a 5:50 mile in high school. So let's say 5:49 or better...

I can definitely run a sub-7 mile now, I don't do mile runs or time trials ever though.
  • 10 min mile for me - I'm more of a sprinter than a distance runner, so even that meager 10 min is tough for me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My BEST time, when I was running competitively, was 6:00ish. Now, it's more like 9. Heart condition makes it hard to push enough to go faster. 5K time is about 40 mins.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread...I'm kind of a turtle...my fastest mile was was 10:40 during a recent 5k race...my average is probably more like 11:30-11:45...I'd like to break a 10 minute mile someday ;)
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My mile time is around 6:40, give or take 20 seconds.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile was 6.57 but thats not sustainable and was speed work.

I usually pace myself based on event.

For a 5k, I'll run around 8:30-9:00 miles.

For a 10K, I'll run a 9:30-10 minute mile

For a half marathon or longer, I pace myself out to 10:30 - 11:00 miles
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've had two heart attacks one was so bad that they used an AED on me..I have had a knee replacement ...I started trail running this summer...my goal is how many miles I can run not the time it takes me...I have already won the race by doing it...
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    My fastest mile that I timed was 7:55. Right now I am doing 5miles in 45 mins on the treadmill, my pace actually running outside is a bit slower but never really timed it. Hoping to try to do a 10k or maybe a half marathon next yr if my knees hold up and I feel i can
    A) Run it all the way
    B) Finish in a respectable time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    High school cross country (oh so long ago!) - 5:05
    28 yr marathon pace - 8:00
    29 yrs half-marathon pace following half ironman swim/bike legs - 8:30

Current (for just a mile on treadmill @ 1% grade to mimic outdoors) - 7:30
    I should test up at the high school track though.

If you are going to test yourself on a treadmill, there is a great submaximal VO2 max test so you can see where your fitness goes over time. Need a HRM and treadmill.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Rockport.html

After a brief warm up, the subject walks as briskly as possible for one mile (1609 meters) with a heart rate monitor. Tester records heart rate (beats per minute) and time to completion. Evaluates cardiovascular fitness for adults.

It is important to accurately measure exercise heart rate. Heart rate was electronically monitored in the original study. A 10 second (Rockport) or 15 second (ACE) pulse may be used if the tester is very proficient but an electronic heart rate monitor is recommended. See post-exercise palpation of pulse rate study.

This test can be administered outdoors on a track or on a treadmill and will give similar results (Nieman, 1999).
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    8:45 pace for a 4-miler (on Pavement).
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    8:45 pace for a 4-miler (on Pavement).
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Last time I did a time trial was over a year ago and I did a 7:55 mile. I hated it. I'd much rather run a half marathon than a fast 5k. My sustainable pace, at least for the half marathon distance, is more like 8:45.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input I seriously think I'll be struggling like the girl in the show I always get a headache when I attempt to run Like I said after about 1 minute *literally 1 minute* I'm back to walking I'm gonna push myself and we'll see what happens I'll update you all on my time regardless of if its horrible or not :)

Baby steps... don't feel bad. I've been "running" for over a year now and I'm not to a 10 minute mile yet. I'm still doing run/walk interval training. My absolute best was a 12:36 but my "normal" mile time for my training is a 13:20. But I am training for my first half marathon and so I am training for distance, not speed. I'm increasing my distance but staying slow. Up to 4 miles now in a little under an hour.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    11-12 minutes. I would like to increase my pace so that I'm running a 10 minute mile. My running is done on a treadmill though.