Coming back from an injury

Options
Hey MFP family! I have been away for a long time due to a severe injury to my left ankle. I was playing basketball and my sister fell onto my ankle. I have to be honest, I can't remember the last time I felt pain like that. Anyway, it's been a long winter, starting on crutches and then graduating to a cane for the last month. I am finally getting back into the game, but the restrictions that rehab is putting on me are a bit daunting...

Any of you been badly injured and come back from it? How did you keep yourself motivated? Thanks for the stories and support.

-Pixie

Replies

• nichola_watters
    Options
    I am in the process... I fractured my radial head (elbow basically) around 10th Jan, 2 weeks ago I felt good enough to get back to the gym - I dont lift weights, so the pain was bearable in a such a way that I could run and be ok. Day 3 of going to the gym, I fell again and done the same fracture on the same arm. It has set my weight loss back a bit but I know I just need to let my body heal. Rushing excercise will only pull you back further in the long run. I guess I cant really offer much help on how to come back from it, but Im in the same boat as you!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I broke the distal radius and the ulna in my left wrist mid November. I was in a cast for a little over 6 weeks and have since been trying to do more. Went to physical therapy and was informed that I am doing too much - ordered to take things slower. Fortunately I could still do some activity (the doctor did initially restrict me from walking outside because it was too dangerous with ice/snow, walking on treadmill because I might fall and hurt myself even worse, or use the recumbent bike because of the same reasons). I have spent the last 3 months pretty much just doing what I can. I am a very active person normally, so this has really put me in a bind. Fortunately, I haven't had too much difficulty with staying motivated as far as watching my calorie intake, and I was successful in reducing my weight by about 10 more pounds following the injury to my wrist - just through close monitoring of caloric intake. I have started walking outside now since the weather is improving, I've also begun using the treadmill but not the bike (it is very difficult to hold onto the bike with only one hand - it feels like I am constantly off balance). Anyway, I think you just have to stay committed to your goal. You can do weights with your arms etc. which while it doesn't really do cardio, it does help to reduce weight through building/strengthening muscle. If you can get someone to throw a ball back and forth with you or something like that, you can get your heart rate up through those kinds of activities. Also, if you are using crutches - just supporting your own weight on them is a very active workout cardio wise as well as builds/strengthens the upper body. so sorry that you are injured and hoping for you a fast recovery.

Vickie
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had a bad back injury a few months ago and was having trouble even walking. It really sucked

What helped the most was finding a physiotherapist that I really liked and working with her to get me back to first being mobile, then doing gentle excersizes and now I'm working my way up to getting back to the gym (speed walking allowed.. no running)

I kept having to tell myself to take it easy! Its so tempting to jump right back into it as soon as you feel a bit better, but then it sets you way back.

Without physio I don't know what I would have done. She works out the muscles, we work on strengthening certain areas.

Good luck getting back to it!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hello Pixie, :flowerforyou:

Developed a hip problem during training for an Ironman, which took over 9 months to come right after the race. Had the best part of 2010 as "time out".

God it was depressing. I thought I was going nuts. I was so bored.

LOL I became really jealous of my club mates and my hubby who of course were all training again in the new season etc and I was on the sidelines just cheering people on at races, 40 pounds heavier, like someone's "sedentary" girlfriend...

I hated having to do my physio exercises etc but I guess you have to keep focussed on getting better. It's great when you do get better but if you're anything like me you have to reign in the ego. You can't go straight back to what you used to be able to do. You'll have to be patient and just work up to it.

I hope you're not in too much discomfort. Have faith and be patient. It'll all come right again. xx
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your support really does mean a lot.