So nervous

Options
So I don't know if any of you remember but I recently got caught without auto insurance and I was freaking out about it...

Well my court date is tomorrow. I'm trying to just take it all with a grain of salt, but I'm so scared. I'm reading and you can go to JAIL in the state of MN for driving without insurance!

They said some places give you a break if you get insurance before you go to court, which I did, almost immediately afterward.

I'M SCARED!!!! :sad: :sad:

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    So I don't know if any of you remember but I recently got caught without auto insurance and I was freaking out about it...

Well my court date is tomorrow. I'm trying to just take it all with a grain of salt, but I'm so scared. I'm reading and you can go to JAIL in the state of MN for driving without insurance!

They said some places give you a break if you get insurance before you go to court, which I did, almost immediately afterward.

I'M SCARED!!!! :sad: :sad:
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    P.S. I've never been to court before, I'm a good kid, I swear!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    see if you can get a pro bono lawyer. Unless you wanna pay one(they are EXPENSIVE)...not that I have had to deal with that personally but Stay calm and relax. Be honest and curteous They say that works
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'll keep you in my prayers. If this is a first offence I'm sure you'll be okay especially since you got insurance immediately after. Good luck to you.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    It sure doesn't seem like a "crime" that they'd actually put you in jail for! Especially when they're constantly complaining about over crowded conditions in jails! So I'm sure you'll be just fine, ESPECIALLY since you GOT insurance!
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I think that jail sentencing is in the "bylines" so they have action they can take against the repeat offenders. I know it's hard not to freak out, but I really think you'll be ok. Since you went out and got insurance, and you don't have a record, I HIGHLY doubt they'll "throw the book at you". I think you'll be ok, but I'll still keep you in my prayers.
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I'll update tomorrow and let you know what happens. I was just reading something that said the average fine is $292 but they can fine you up to $1000.

Hopefully it'll be quick and I'll pay my fine and be done with it.
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    Well, I'm back. And it really wasn't that bad.

I met with the prosecuter and explained myself and he said that if I plead guilty I'll have a $300 fine and I'll lose my license.

So he worked a deal with me where he suspended the ticket for a year (meaning as long as I don't have a related offense within the year my ticket will not go on my record nor will I get my license taken away) and he cut the fine down to $250.

I was SO GREATFUL! So *Sigh* I'm so happy that's over with. It's like a weight has been lifted.

Thanks to everyone for their support!
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm happy that turned out so well for you..
    Now be a good girl for the next year!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad everything worked out for you. Congratulations.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congrats!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good deal.
    traffic court is usually a breeze, unfortunately ive had my fair share there, but so long as you look respectable and apologetic you get off the hook:devil: