Did anyone else quit smoking yet?

Options
1 day 6 hours and 32 minutes...lol but who's counting????
Feeling a little weird on and off, but I was already cut back to 6 a day, so the nicotine withdrawal isn't bad at all, had 1 piece of nic gum today. I still need to get that carton out of the house My friend's mom is gonna buy it off me for 2$ a pack :bigsmile: How are my fellow quitters and cut backers doing????

Replies

• forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congratulations! I quit two years ago and never looked back. When you get the urge, take a slow deep breath and fill your lungs with oxygen and tell yourself you are taking a breath of life, not death. Worked for me! Keep me posted! You can do it! I went from a pack a day for 20+ years to zero.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I got an e-cig and it helped BIG TIME.

But the MOST helpful thing for me? ... Not hanging out with smokers. I know that's not an option for everyone but not smelling it or being tempted made a HUGE difference.

Now, I still smoke occasionally. Like, if I know I'm going tubing down the river all day with friends, I'll buy a pack of cloves and suck them down. BUT that's a RARE thing. I've bought fewer than five packs in the last 6 months. I know for a lot of people it's all or nothing so don't kid yourself. But if you can do it, it's been my saving grace.

It's like the eating thing. Did you eat a piece of cake that sent you way over your daily calorie goal? Well, tomorrow's a new day. Give the rest of the cake to the neighbor or toss it in the garbage and carry on.

GOOD LUCK! Smoking is one of the hardest habits to kick! But if I can do it, you can! GO FOR IT! :D

EDIT: P.S.: SMOKERS ARE SO STINKY!!! Be less stinky. :) hehehehe
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    March 8th 2003 after over 20 years of as much as 2 packs/day.
    It tool a long time to get me to the place of throwing them away but once I was mentally "there" it was actually easy for me.

Good luck Lauren! :flowerforyou:
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    I fully agree with the above posters.
    I quit.

What I did was:
    1. Realize I did not need to learn HOW to quit. I just had to do it.( like jumping in a pool)
    2. I did hang out with non smokers for 1 week.
    3. I continued all the customs of smoking, sharing a cigarette, smoke breaks etc. I just simply decided the smoke was not going to go into my lungs anymore.
    4. I "gave back" the habit to the smoker who got me smoking.
    5. I called myself a non smoker... Right away...

And the moment I said inwas a nonsmoker, I was free..!!!
    I have never looked back.
    In fact, it's weird I ever did smoke.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm working on it. I did better today than I thought I would. I'm not quit yet but I've cut way back. I found a website with tools for calculating your triggers and learning how to separate them. I'm hopeful that I will do it this time and I won't gain weight. That's the part that has had me fearful about stopping in the first place. I got the diet right and the exercise is a normal part of my life now. I just have this one thing to do in order to be a totally healthy person.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You can do this LaLa!!!!

:heart: you!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) And congrats to those of you who have been quit for awhile :drinker:
    So far so good, but my husband is driving me up a wall a little more than usual...lol He keeps saying "yeah you've quit before and we saw how that worked out" I'm like...Gonna kill him lol that isn't very supportive. So I've failed b4, thanks for reminding me @sshole :bigsmile: lol

Love you too Jojo!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with the above posters.
    I quit.

What I did was:
    1. Realize I did not need to learn HOW to quit. I just had to do it.( like jumping in a pool)
    2. I did hang out with non smokers for 1 week.
    3. I continued all the customs of smoking, sharing a cigarette, smoke breaks etc. I just simply decided the smoke was not going to go into my lungs anymore.
    4. I "gave back" the habit to the smoker who got me smoking.
    5. I called myself a non smoker... Right away...

And the moment I said inwas a nonsmoker, I was free..!!!
    I have never looked back.
    In fact, it's weird I ever did smoke.
    Great tips! Thanks :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 years ago after 37 years. I took the money that I would have been spending on cigarrettes and saved it. I Have since bought new furniture, flooring, window coverings, vacations etc with the money that was "going up in smoke". Plus I feel so much better.