Medication side effects...

Options
Hi:
I am a small woman. I have never weighed above 112. Even when I was pregnant, I weighed 155.

I have never dieted in my life, but I have always been a runner/ physically active.

After my second child, I took sown medications for 6 months ( for severe post partum depression.)
I gained 75 lbs and lost HUGE amounts of hair in about 2 months.

I was able to loose 1/2 of the weight by working out everyday for 45 min and eating 1200 calories.
So right now I weigh about 137.

I hope to get back to 105-112. ( I'm 5'1", in case you care).

This medication was a lifesaver at the time, but the hairless and weight gain has plagued me to this day.

I have learned how to balance my diet, and I am healthy.

I recently quit drinking my nightly beer, yeah! And in 3 weeks of doing so, I have only lost 1 pound!!

WTF!

My labs all come back normal. There is no explanation for this. They all say my hair should have at least grown back.

I use romaine and it does help.

But what's more, I have suddenly developed pretty severe hay fever ( overnight like)
And asthma.

So now when I want to exercise, I have to manage my asthma.

I do have an appointment with an allergist next week,

But I have some questions::

1. Has anyone noticed a correlation between being out of shape and asthma? Does it get better??
2. Does anyone know of a correlation between being overweight and having hairless??
When you lost weight did it come back?

Thanks for your input... This is killing me!!

Replies

• Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I haven't noticed any of the correlations you've mentioned but I just wanted to tell you that I was on anti depressants for the same thing and gained a lot of weight because of that :\. It's horrible to have medications do that to you! Good luck with everything!
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    Thanks for responding, and your candor.
    So you were able to loose the weight after?
  • loveshannonmarie
    loveshannonmarie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the hair.. but I recently got off of lexapro because of the 60 pound weight gain and it's very hard to lose weight with the drug still in your system and takes about 3 months to fully get out.. however I did a lot of research and there is ways around the slow mo weight loss! Just a few supplements everyday for awhile and theyre all natural and highly recommended getting off any anti-depressant meds plus they boost your mood as well as your weight loss..
    7-keto
    5-htp
    acetyl-L carnitine
    coconut oil
    fish oil
    and a multi vitamin
    it seems like a lot but it really kick starts weight loss
  • yolandita
    yolandita Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, yes - stress caused me to both gain weight due to over eating. I also lost lots of hair; it dries up immediatley and gets brittle when I'm severely depressed as is now. Can I ask your race/ I'm Black and have seen these changes in my body. No matter how much I diet or pick up more activity, if i'm stressed my hair will continue to come out even when getting protein( hair) treatments. Lately i've lossed weight cause of better eating habit, but hair improvement, not so much. :( hope this helps.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    Yolanda:
    I'm Italian. But stress..... Oh stress.
    I am a mom, a track coach, on the school board, married to a large child,
    Run a small farm and I'm in law school.

Stress.... Oh yeah. The hair which has grown back through rogain is skinny and wiry. I am even looking at getting hair plugs. I have baby fine hair already, but having a scapula that tans is STUPID!
    tan lines!!

Damn. I just keep thinking.... If in thin, it won't matter... Cause I'll still be sexy.

But the asthma ( and right now a severe cold) keeps me from exercising.

Sorry to whine. I just feel like giving up, but I know I have to continue... Someday I won't have to ware elastic waist bands anymore.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    @shannomarie
    ( sorry if I am butchering names here).
    I am taking some supplements.
    And I have taken HTP before..( good stuff!)

I have been off the meds for 2.5 YEARS!
    I would have never taken them if I knew I was facing a life of being overweight or "dieting".
    But I am thankful for the list of supplements. I will try them for 3 months and see where that gets me..:)

Thank you.!