How would I calculate Zumba?

Options
So, I'm doing both Jillian Micheals (which, if i'm not mistaken, I track as circuit training, right?) and Zumba.
How in the world would I keep track of my Zumba?

I have that Zumba kit, with 3 different DVDs, ranging from 20 minute run time to 60 minutes, sooo how would I keep track of those here on MFP?

Thanks!

Replies

• rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'd look in the exercise log under regular aerobics to see how many calories are burned in an hour and then create your own exercise for your log. I think Zumba would be about twice as much as regular aerobics if you are really moving. Great question!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I just do the general aerobics thing when I log. I know I burn a little more than that but it's the closest thing I've found in the database.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been entering Zumba as "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" as it seemed to fit the best out of all the options.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Look up on the internet the average amount of calories Zumba burns and then choose to enter a new exercise (or something like that) and it will put it in the data base. After you do that it will be available for you to choose whenever you need to. I put Zumba gold in there and it was pretty easy.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been entering Zumba as "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" as it seemed to fit the best out of all the options.

This is what I do as well. I have a heart rate monitor on my shopping list, but I don't yet have the money for the one I want.
  • Paccie
    Paccie Posts: 47
    Options
    I also do Jillian and Zumba Dvds. I log it as aerobics general. Hope this helps.
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would log it as Cardio and your best option for calculating calories burned is to get a good heart rate monitor ( that reads from a chest strap), you're just gonna be guessing otherwise
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There is another thread here that said that Zumba burns between 600-800 calories per hour.
  • shelliewu
    Options
    I made my own category for Zumba. I take a class and burn about 800 calories. It will be different based on age, weight, and heart rate but I would say 600-800/hour is a good estimate.
  • x_cylence_x
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone!