feeling stuck

Options
So, I lost 15 pounds before I found this site. so, in the past 3 months that's a total of 20. now I feel like I'm just never going to lose any more. I know people say everyone gets to a plave where they have to step it up to lose weight, but I just can't find the motivation to do it. I have bad knees, ankles and chronic neck pain and i'm tired all the time. I thought losing weight would help with the lack of energy but it just drains me more. Has anyone else felt like this? And how do you get through it?

Replies

• kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I have no advice, but wanted to say sorry you are feeling like you are in a rut, I hope it gets better soon for you!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I totally know your feeling! I was that way and sooo sick of counting every last thing i wanted to eat, worrying about having a drink, or going to a restraunt. I was being entirely too restrictive, so i gave in a bit, i told myself if i am working out and eating smart thats good enough!! i am eating more calories per day, and just not bieng so uptight, and i'm still maintaining my weight loss. Good luck to you!!!!!
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance you're anemic (iron deficiency)? One of the major signs of anemia is being tired all the time - no matter how much sleep you get. You may want to research it and see if that could one thing that isn't helping the motivation to step-up the work-outs etc.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough nutrition? if you aren't getting enough calories and nutrients then exercise can have a detrimental effect. Try and eat at least your BMR and any exercise calories and see what that does for energy.
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. I know I need to make better food choices, I come from a long line of unhealthy eaters and I am extremely picky. That being said, I have actually been starving for a few days no matter how much I eat so I've started listening to my body and eating a few exta calories for the past couple days. I actually have been tested for anemia and I have no problems there. I did have a positive test for lyme disease over a year ago, but no luck getting treated for it since I live in the south and they don't believe in lyme disease around here. Any ideas on supplements? I'm so lost when it comes to what supplements are beneficial/necessary. Like I said, loooong line of unhealthy folks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you take a break, not in the sense of stopping, but what others have suggested. Start eating at or just below you BMR (a calculator of BMR can be found in the TOOLS section). This will give you some extra calories in a day. If it increases your energy you know you were eating too little. If not, you would be well served checking with your doctor.

Having said that, we all have times where we get tired of it all. That is why I suggest the BMR approach as you should still be under the calories you burn in a day, and it allows you to rest the rigorousness of losing weight without gaining weigh back, and likely continuing to lose, albeit at a much slower pace.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You could also be lacking Vitamin D and or B like I was. I'm tired all the time no matter how much sleep I get. Exercise or no exercise and I wouldn't go as far as saying that I have more energy from exercise either. Hang in there and try and get to the doctors again, sometimes you just have to keep bugging them to get the answers you need. I know it's tuff when your tired all the time and can be a real bummer. Just try and continue to eat healthier and drink lots of water and don't worry so much about hard core exercise! Do what you can even if it's light exercise, like yoga or stretching that way your still engaging the muscles and getting some benefits from it that may slowly help you feel better. I do hope you feel better soon, kep doing what your doing and the weight will slowly come off. Take care hun.

Denise
  • swars45
    Options
    First I would tell you to keep your head up. The first pounds lost are always the easiest. Try and focus on small changes and set small goals. It may be nice to think of losing a large amount of weight, but set milestones that are easier to reach and rewarding upon completion. In 10 years I have gained nearly 100 lbs. from 230 to 324. Since January I have dropped to 302. My long term goal is to get back to the 220's but my next milestone is to get under 300.

I also started easy into my new lifestyle change. I focused on going to the gym in January. Really making that a part of my daily routine. Then after that became a part of my schedule, I started then watching my calories in Feb. This is something I did not concern myself with in the first month.

My goal in March will be to incorporate water into my diet more. Currently I am leaning heavily on Diet Mt. Dew.

I have found that exercising has given me more energy and made me feel better and more in control of my body since starting. If you can try the elliptical machine as it does not cause much stress on ankles and knees.

Above all don't give up, even if you have a bad day, stay strong and believe in yourself!!
    Tim
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sometimes all it takes a few words of encouragement :) I'm glad I found a place with such nice, knowledgeable people.