Healthy Ground Beef Recipes?

Options
Help! We are nearing the end of our meat selection until we get some money and all I have left is ground beef. Anyone have any good recipes? I have two very picky step-daughters and a picky man, let me know what you think!
Thanks!

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    brown your hamburger meat with onion and drain, add a can of cream of mushroom soup (the 99% fat free kind), a can of milk and season to your liking with s&p, red pepper flakes, garlic, whatever. serve over wheat pasta- like rotini.

healthy chili- brown hamburger meat with onion and drain, add a can of bushs chili beans, a can of diced tomatoes (whatever style you like), garlic, seasonings, and let it simmer to develop the flavors. you can top with sliced green onion, fat free or low fat sour cream, fat free cheese.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you season the meat at home for tacos it is much less salt than a mix. Lots of fresh veggies and fresh salsa would be good. Just watch the taco shells. Portion control.

I also do stuffed peppers. Beef, not quite an equal amount of cooked rice, garlic, finely chopped or pureed onion, pepper, a little salt and an egg. Mix and stuff pepper halves. Cover with low salt tomato sauce, adding seasonings of your choice to the plain sauce. Cover and bake for about 45 min. I usually break down the ingredients for my diary.

What else? Meatloaf is ok as long as you don't add too much too it. Pureed onion, peppers, mushrooms.garlic, celery all give it some moisture and make it taste better.

Meatballs? Same as the meatloaf. Baked.

Been in the same spot as you are. Best of luck!
  • GoGetFitGirl
    Options
    How about tacos with a lot more lettuce than beef and lite or no fat cheese if you have it? Do you have any soft tortillas on hand? If so, you can cook them in the oven for about an hour over taco forms to make a lower fat version of store bought shells. You can make taco forms out of an disposable aluminum pan. (Let me know if you need help.) If tacos don't sound appealing, you could try goulash. Just fry a pound of hamburger, add half an onion and let it simmer. Add a can of whole peeled tomatoes and a cup of high fiber elbow pasta. In either case, just be sure you drain the grease out of the beef. Let me know what you came up with. :-) Lynn
    (SkinnyIn24Weeks)
  • MoMoves
    Options
    I forget now where I was reading this, but I read that if you drain the grease off your ground meat AND rinse the meat in hot water in can seriously bring down the fat content and calories. I was fascinated....something to consider when trying to eat ground beef and cut back on fat & calories.

Here is a favorite recipe for ground beef that is on the lighter side: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=335077 (nutritional info is included on that too!)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I like to use 96\4 ground beef for Chili
    tomato sauce
    tomato paste
    veggies
    beans
    cook in crock pot or stove
    season as you wish...............

serve as chilli. Left over chilli over rice/on sandwiches

freezes beautifully
    _______________________ OR _________________

season ground beef - tacos/sloppy joes

Good Luck!!
  • dispatcherbeware
    Options
    Hamburgers, spaghetti, cabbage rolls they are yummy. You should go to the website allrecipes.com they have an area just for ground beef.
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try to make some soups with that beef...chili, taco soup, beef vegetable stew, even just beef broth, meat, and vegetables.