Protein Bars

Options
What protein bars do you guys like? I'm looking for one that's low in calories and sugar, but high in protein and fiber.

Replies

• jlewis121186
    Options
    i like pure protein bars...
  • eggclectic
    eggclectic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the NUGO from Costco because they are low glycemic, kinda like rice crispies bars. Not to bad tasting compared to some! Lots of protein in them which helps me since I'm about 80% vegetarian.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I also love the Pure Protein bars. The peanut butter one is really good.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    i'm not on the south beach diet but i love the south beach protein bars they are so good my favorite is the cinnamon raisin and the peanut butter ones another great protein bar is the kellogs protein meal bars
  • biggerpix
    Options
    I get the "Power Bar". I purposely get the high calorie bars because I'm so bad about getting all of my 1200 calories a day because I always feel so full. These get me to the 1200 calories and I don't feel stuffed.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I make my own.
    Cheaper and better for you than any store bought ones I've been able to find..
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    so far all seem to make me gain weight...............no idea why
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Clif Bar Crunchy Peanut Butter is my favorite. They are 250 cal.

For a mid PM snack, the Kashi bars are good-- only 150 cal.

Both have sugar, but are low glycemic and high protein.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Share your recipe or point us to one online.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have also wondered if the bars were stalling my weight loss...Grunt1 how do you make your bars???
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Zone Perfect...but for the most part, I have given them up. Too much sugar and too many unidentifiable ingredients!! I'll pick up a couple here and there for a quick meal before a short race, but otherwise I stay away from them.

I have made some "energy bars" That are basically equal parts of the following ingredients:

Honey
    Cocoa
    Nut Butter
    Nuts
    Dried fruit

Use whatever you want, but stick to the proportions. But they are crazy rich, lots of sugar and not particularly low calorie. They are good though :-)
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Here's a Protein Bar Recipe I got from a family member: I haven't tried it yet but she makes them all the time.

2 1/2 cups natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
    2 cups honey
    2 cups protein powder (I use vanilla)
    3 cups uncooked oatmeal
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use raw almonds)
    1/2 cup dried fruit (I omit this as I am not a dried fruit fan)
    1/4 cup wheat bran

Using a double boiler heat the peanut butter and honey until they reach a smooth consistency. You can also use a microwave and heat in increments until it is smooth.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Mix the honey/peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Spread the batter into an ungreased 9X13 baking pan and either slice into bars immediately or put into the fridge to allow it to set before slicing (it will be easier to slice).

You can keep the pan in the fridge and grab as you need/want or slice into bars and wrap individually to take on the go.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Here's a Protein Bar Recipe I got from a family member: I haven't tried it yet but she makes them all the time.

2 1/2 cups natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
    2 cups honey
    2 cups protein powder (I use vanilla)
    3 cups uncooked oatmeal
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use raw almonds)
    1/2 cup dried fruit (I omit this as I am not a dried fruit fan)
    1/4 cup wheat bran

Using a double boiler heat the peanut butter and honey until they reach a smooth consistency. You can also use a microwave and heat in increments until it is smooth.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Mix the honey/peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Spread the batter into an ungreased 9X13 baking pan and either slice into bars immediately or put into the fridge to allow it to set before slicing (it will be easier to slice).

You can keep the pan in the fridge and grab as you need/want or slice into bars and wrap individually to take on the go.

May need to check out this recipe!
  • aarce
    aarce Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks so much! The recipe looks great too!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like Luna Bars and Clif Bars.

You can also try building your own protein bars at youbars.com - this is another way you can control the ingredients and the nutritional value of your bar.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the honey stinger protein bars.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    bump