eat 6 meals a day? I don't get it...help

Options
Okay so I have read articles and heard from numerous people dieting that you should eat 6 smaller meals a day? Now, this confuses me because I am used to the traditional 3 meals a day. How do you portion 6 meals like that, are they really full meals? or do you really just have really small meals with little calories consumed in each one? It also says you should eat every 2 to 3 hours doing this? I just don't get how you would portion things like these? can someone give me like an example of what a day's menu would consist of eating 6 meals? I think that would help me better understand this, thank you:)

Replies

• TessaBoo1
    TessaBoo1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it is just a smaller meal than what u usually eat. If u eat smaller you will get hungry faster and it will make ur metabolism go faster to which will make u lose weight
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello! Eating 5-6 meals has worked for me..i never have the chance to get hungry! When i'm not eating this way i overeat BIG time...so an example of my day would be...
    Breakfast -protein smoothie with 1/2 banana and strawberries about 200 cals
    Snack- almonds with an apple or string cheese- about 150-200 calories
    Lunch-usually a salad with a protein, or soup...really anything balanced protein carb veggie about 400 cals.
    Snack-similar to the first! The cocoa covered almonds are my new thing! but something about 150-200 cals
    Dinner- Just a balanced meal again protein, carb, veggie or fruit mines about 500 cals.
    That puts you approx 1500 for a day. If your still hungry 100 calorie snacks or fruit are great deserets! Good luck...hope that helped at all ;)
  • EdyeAnne
    EdyeAnne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    By eating smaller meals, you don't have a chance to get hungry. Your metabolisim stays on an even keel - your blood sugar does not drop (which can make you feel hungry). I eat approximately 200 - 235 calories for breakfast. Three hours later I eat about 150 calories; three hours later 250; three hours later 150; three hours later about 350; and then the last one before bed is 110 (a skinny cow ice cream!) a total of around 1200 - 1500 calories each day. Protein will keep you full longer... you can get protein in yogurt, chicken, beans. Mix it up. Remember, it IS NOT a diet... it's a lifestyle change.
  • blcotton
    Options
    Thank you everyone! it makes sense now. I am going to try to start doing 6 meals tomorrow...hope I do well.
  • Zoomalude
    Options
    Good luck. Take note, it only seems to take a couple weeks for your body to adjust. I ate poorly yesterday (Sunday) and had to skip my 9 PM meal. Hoo boy, my stomach sounded like a french bulldog until bed. Your body WILL expect food on schedule so bear this in mind.
  • urdaprincess
    Options
    I am trying it, but it is hard for me...I am trying to find snacks to fill the void and smaller portions. Good Luck with it!