Popcorn replacement

Options
1 cup multi-bran chex
3 - 5 sprays of that spray butter - toss to coat
1/2 teaspoon popcorn seasoning.

Ta Da! All the crunch with far fewer calories!

Replies

• father5
    Options
    Definately will have to try this. Thanks!
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    not to be a debbie downer.... but that snack is all carbs... and corn isn't a vegetable, it's a starch (grain) so i'd rec'd something a little more protein heavy.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    1 cup of air popped popcorn only has 30 calories-- all you have to do is buy a bag of raw kernels, put them in a paper lunchbag, fold the top down accordion style about 20 times, then pop it for 1:45 or so. I love it with cinnamon and splenda on it!
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I never thought of making popcorn that way! great idea! and probably cheaper than buying microwave bags!
  • blessedmommy2x
    Options
    1 cup of air popped popcorn only has 30 calories-- all you have to do is buy a bag of raw kernels, put them in a paper lunchbag, fold the top down accordion style about 20 times, then pop it for 1:45 or so. I love it with cinnamon and splenda on it!

WOW that is a AWESOME idea!
  • Ral263
    Options
    I never thought of making popcorn that way! great idea! and probably cheaper than buying microwave bags!

Yup, super cheap and easy, and you can flavor it differently every time you make it! If I'm not in the mood for sweet, I'll squeeze some lime juice on it, and toss with paprika and a little garlic powder.... I've heard parmesan and garlic is good too.

Aside from the fat/calorie issue, the chemicals that are use in microwave popcorns are AWFUL for you. I know that in the past 5 years or so there has been a lot of uproar about regulating what's in there-- the powder and fumes from the "artificial butter flavor" have caused lung cancer/tumors in popcorn factory workers. I know they are obviously exposed to it a great deal more than a regular consumer would be, but nevertheless....still scary.

Once you stop eating the packaged stuff, you'll be amazed at how you ever ate it. Taste like fake chemical crap :)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I make kettle corn with raw kernels on the stove top. I don't have the exact measurements, but it goes as follows:

cover bottom of pan (that you have a lid for) with one layer of kernels (at most!).
    add maybe a tablespoon of vegetable oil (swirl kernels)
    start heating on med-high (6/9 on my stove)
    mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of sugar (or splenda)
    just as it just starts to pop, cover with mix. (i like to add some, swirl, add more, etc. more even)
    cover and swirl every couple seconds.
    take off heat when it stops popping for a second or two.

so much better and better for you than store bought!
  • qtwells82
    Options

That is a super idea! Thanks
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Sounds yummy...
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You can get a popcorn air popper at Wal Mart for around $10. Might be a good investment if you eat popcorn regularly.
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not to sound dumb, but how do you fold a paper bag accordion style? It's the end of the day for me, my brain is fried...cut me a break! lol
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Not to sound dumb, but how do you fold a paper bag accordion style? It's the end of the day for me, my brain is fried...cut me a break! lol
    You don't have to do it accordion style..just fold it over 3 or 4 times so it won't open.
  • Ral263
    Options
    You don't have to do it accordion style..just fold it over 3 or 4 times so it won't open.

Right, just keep folding in about 1/4 of an inch down, over and over again until the whole bag is folded
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'm sooo trying the popcorn in a bag! Yummy! My son will thank you! He's a popcorn addict! And now mommy can eat it too!
  • FattyLumpkins2011
    Options
    A microwave bag of Aldi fit n active light butter popcorn is very cheap and only has 20 calories and 4 grams of fat per cup.