Protein for Vegetarian?

Options
Hey Veg-Heads! Can anyone give me some ideas for protein that is beyond black beans and tofu?

Replies

• merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Edamame, lentils, Greek yogurt, protein bars...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!!!
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt for protein boosts -- I get the single cups from Kroger and there are 14g of protein in every cup! Plus the flavored ones are sweetened with stevia.

I also have a soy protein powder I use for shakes for when I need an extra kick of protein.

As for every day items, brown rice, almond butter, and natural peanut butter all show up frequently in my diary.
  • camp_teekay
    camp_teekay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    quinoa!

also for faux meat: quorn naked chick'n cutlets. delicious & gluten free / soy free.

as others have said, non-fat / low-fat greek yogurt is your best bet. it's pretty much pure protein.
  • kimdummermuth
    Options
    Arbonnes protein shakes are vegan certified.. here is an ingredient list http://www.arbonnemarketing.com/PK/dl/pk/2070_us_eng.pdf lots of other great examples here.
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    light life makes a ton of good stuff found in the veggie and fruit aisle of most markets. also...morningstar is good but be careful cause too much frozen=too much sodium.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    eggs, soy products, greek yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese, kashi, nuts, protein powders.. :flowerforyou:
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    quinoa!

also for faux meat: quorn naked chick'n cutlets. delicious & gluten free / soy free.

i forgot about quorn... good stuff!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    just about everything has protein in it. most people have too much actually. even the cookies i ate tonight have protein in them. a lot of food has it. veggies, soy milk, cereal, and especially the vegan chicken, meat, and etc. Especially boca, gardein, and morningstar farms.
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Eggs! B12 can be tricky for Veggie lovers <3
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    luna bars have a good amount of protein. i dont know if you eat eggs or yogurt but those are good for protein too. personally, i take chlorella tabs, they give a little protein boost because i don't eat most of the foods I just mentioned
  • gracemtn
    gracemtn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put tofu in a lot of thungs
  • improvstitute
    Options
    Quorn Meatless Grounds = fantastic!!!! I use it 2-3 times a week. I also love White Mountain Wheat Roast. BTW...I am not a vegetarian (my wife is). [I do love a tasty burger]
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!!!
    This! I buy not only the regular quinoa, but also quinoa pastas as well. Might I add also spinach and eggs are good for protein. Also try experimenting with other beans; kidney beans, and chickpeas are 2 of my favorites.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    THANKS for all the great suggestions. I don't eat faux meat products, but I'm going to try the other stuff mentioned. =)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!!!

Do you know what section you can find this in the stores? Is it with rice and noodles?
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Eggs! B12 can be tricky for Veggie lovers <3

I agree. Eggs, cottage cheese, peanut butter. I would also take a "stress tab" pill. They contain the B vitamins that are harder for vegetarians to get. My mom is a registered dietician, and she put me on them because I don't eat meat.

Good luck!
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you know what section you can find this in the stores? Is it with rice and noodles?
    in the morrisons near me, it's in with the cous cous, rice and noodles. in asda, it's bundled in with the dried lentils and beans.

buying it in the tiny bags they sell is quite expensive - i gather you can get a much better deal if you buy larger quantities online or from somewhere like macro.
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I use hemp seed in a lot of things, you can get it at health food stores. As it was explained to me we get a lot of protein, but nothing compares to the protein you get from meat and this really makes up for it. It's got like 13 grams of protein for every 2 TBS serving.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    just about everything has protein in it. most people have too much actually. even the cookies i ate tonight have protein in them. a lot of food has it. veggies, soy milk, cereal, and especially the vegan chicken, meat, and etc. Especially boca, gardein, and morningstar farms.

if you're working out you can never have too much protein. (helps repair your muscles)