Salmon, Talipia and Sole Fish

FemininGuns
FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all,

Just wanted to share a little information on these fish. Recently in Canada, an article I read really surprised me about these fish and the info was cross-referenced with my coach and a nutritionist...

Farm Bred Salmon: They put dye to get it to a certain color of pink... The Omega 6 in the Farm Bred Salmon are so high, that it can actually increase your levels of 'bad' cholesterol. The Salmon pools for farm bred are so small and packed with Salmon that they hit into eachother, making them more sedentary and thus having more of the 'bad fats'. They are also injected with hormones etc...

Farm Bred Talipia and Sole: They actually feed the fish some hormones to give them a certain 'taste' that people like... Plus, all the same things for the pools as the Salmon... Because the fish are white, there is no dye injected but the omega 6 are way higher than the 3s that are good for us.

So, tip of the day: if you can get WILD sockeye Salmon or WILD Talipia or Haddock, you are far better off... I actually was always steered towards the wild sources, but never really new why until I go informed. The taste is WAY better than the farm bred as well. On another note - no hormone, vegetarian/grain fed beef taste so yummy compared to the beef that is not... Nice to know that I'm putting 'clean' stuff in my body as well.

Cheers! :drinker:

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Farm raised fish are also high in Omega 6 fats. I stay away from all farm raised fish, as I am not in agreement with the way they are raised, antibiotics used, and diminished health affects versus wild caught fish. I would rather eat less of the better quality meats and fish rather than buying cheaper farm raised fish and factory farmed beef. I must say though, living in a coastal state, I have many seafood options and am not stuck buying farmed. Also, maybe it is just me, but tilapia tastes "dirty" to me, almost having a muddy quality.

As a side note, all canned salmon is wild caught, making it a very cheap source of very healthy fish.
This discussion has been closed.