Heart Rate HELP!

Options
So, I love cardio. I really do. But I am super confused about my target heart rate. I have been told in the past that if I don't add the secret ingredient of "intensity" to my workouts, I am cheating my body. I like to work hard! So I push and it results in a heart rate of 175-180. But I am reading more and more about the negative effects of maxing out my heart rate. If, though, I try to keep it in the weight loss zone, I feel like I have put forth such a minimal effort. I hear some trainers say that walking is best for weight loss purposes and others tell me that I will not burn enough calories by just walking... I have to run. Thoughts, anyone? :huh:

Replies

• OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this too!
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been wondering the same thing since getting my HRM.. so can't be of help im afraid! Like you, I have heard about your heart rate not being too high, but, if I try and keep it lower I feel I am not getting a proper workout... My max heart rate is uaually around 175ish..

I will interested to hear replies!
  • mlsmathias
    Options
    I also would love to know the answer to this.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So, I love cardio. I really do. But I am super confused about my target heart rate. I have been told in the past that if I don't add the secret ingredient of "intensity" to my workouts, I am cheating my body. I like to work hard! So I push and it results in a heart rate of 175-180. But I am reading more and more about the negative effects of maxing out my heart rate. If, though, I try to keep it in the weight loss zone, I feel like I have put forth such a minimal effort. I hear some trainers say that walking is best for weight loss purposes and others tell me that I will not burn enough calories by just walking... I have to run. Thoughts, anyone? :huh:

Fat loss zone is a myth of sorts. In that zone you will burn a higher % of calories from fat but less calories overall and less calories from fat. As an example (these numbers are just for illustration purposes) Say you burn 200 calories in the fat burning zone over 30 min. and 60% of those cals are from fat. This would give you a total of 120 cals from fat, but if you workout at a higher intensity and burn 280 cals in 30 min and 50% are from fat you burn 140 cals from fat, which is more than the 120 during fat burning zone. As long as you stay under your max HR you will be fine (Max HR 220 - your age, if you are 30 your max would be 190 (220-30)

The more intense you go the more cals you burn, the more fat/weight you lose.
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find an answer to this too! Everything I read says something different!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump All the advice I have seen suggests max heart rate is 220 less your age, and that for the best workout it should be between
    75-85% of the max - any doctors on here? I think exercising up to and over the max could be unsafe...

Regards, David
  • traustifreyr
    Options
    Im side-stepping your question (because I dont really know:) but I often feel like you do. I dont feel like Im working out if my heart-rate isnt at my max.

But then I read about "High Intensity Interval training". It is/was all the rage. Google it and read about the supposed benefits. Its what I use these days.

In short its alternating between running fast and walking fast. My heart rate goes from 130 to 170. One of the biggest benefits I think is that it breaks up the monotony of just staying at one speed for half an hour to an hour.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Very good question! I'm interested in your responses.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    This has me curious as well since getting my Polar FT7....I went for a 2 mile run last week and noticed when I was running against the wind or up a steep incline my heart rate was 180-190......I then started to brisk walk till it got in the 140-160 range. I got my HRM to track calories burned and I have to admit I am CLUELESS about the heart rate part.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I do know that you can lose weight by just walking. My mother is 76 years old, she just reached her lifetime at Weight Watchers. Her only excercise is walking and the doctor told her to keep her heart rate below 140. Granted she does not burn as many calories as she could if she could do more strenuous exercise but slow and steady won the race for her.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    good topic! I have been trying to figure out this as well. Thanks to those who have answered =)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    MY answer is...there is NO magic answer! As long as you're calories in are lower than your calories out you will (should) lose weight.

My opinion is... doing different types of exercises will help in weight loss. I am a big believer in body confusion and mixing things up to keep you motivated. I always wear a HRM while exercising and it tells me what % of fat was burned. I honestly couldn't tell you what made any workout different when I burned more/less fat. I'm sure that I there is a formula, but I am more interested in the caloric burn.

I do agree that I feel like I haven't worked hard enough if I'm not dripping with sweat and breathing harder. But I don't beleive that every workout has to be that intense. I do HIIT type workouts 3 days a week, do medium intensity cardio 3-5 days per week and yoga 3-5 days per week. I feel that my routine is balanced. It makes my muscles feel energized yet supple and my core also gets a great workout from it all without a bunch of sit-ups.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Ok, I did a little research on this using myself as an example. Sorry, couldn't gather enough test (gym) rats on short notice...

220-41 (my age) = 179 MHR: 85% = 152 75% = 134

Here are the results of my workouts:

Tuesday = Elliptical - 57 minutes Avg HR - 112 Calories Burned - 501 % Fat - 55

Wednesday = Cross Fit - 49 minutes Avg HR - 141 Calories Burned - 637 % Fat - 40

So, from this I can tell that at a lower HR I burned more body fat and less calories. At a higher HR I burned more calories and less body fat.

Which is better...I have no idea...They both look good to me! :ohwell: