Struggling...

Options
I'm struggling. I am so busy right now that I'm having a very difficult time fitting in my daily exercise. I am not a morning person but I know I should get up at least 1/2 an hour earlier to get my workout in. If not I'm just too exhausted after working all day, making dinner and running around to actually get it in...unless I wanna do it at 10:00 at night which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Maybe I'm just making excuses. I'm pretty good at that. Been doing it for years. I find a way to justify everything.

Anyway, enough complaining...blah, blah, blah...bottom line I need some ideas/motivation/kick in the pants to help me find a way to get my exercise in.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go to bed earlier -- at least half an hour earlier, but maybe as much as an hour, depending on how much sleep you normally get. A lot of times people who have difficulty in the mornings are just not getting enough sleep, so experiment with earlier bedtimes and see if it helps. Put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off, and then don't allow yourself to get back in bed. Go grab a little water and maybe something to eat to get you in morning mode, and then do your workout.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be something as simple as climbing the stairs during a lunch hour. It doesn't have to be something you do in the gym every day. I realized this recently when I couldnt' go to the gym because of the snow. Luckily for myself, I own a staionary bike at home..so I used and use this apparatus quite a bit on the days when the gym is closed or I cannot make it. There are a lot of exercises at a desk (if you work at one) that you can do during the day...strength training mostly. Walking is another great way to exercise..if you live near a school..go take a walk on their track...or even walk around the neighborhood. Also there are some great programs for home on DVD, Wii and the like. Sometimes I just put some fun music on and dance away!

You can do it.! YOU you just have to make yourself do it..because YOU are the person who will ultimately benefit from the results. YOU can do this...
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    I'm struggling. I am so busy right now that I'm having a very difficult time fitting in my daily exercise. I am not a morning person but I know I should get up at least 1/2 an hour earlier to get my workout in. If not I'm just too exhausted after working all day, making dinner and running around to actually get it in...unless I wanna do it at 10:00 at night which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Maybe I'm just making excuses. I'm pretty good at that. Been doing it for years. I find a way to justify everything.

Anyway, enough complaining...blah, blah, blah...bottom line I need some ideas/motivation/kick in the pants to help me find a way to get my exercise in.

I hear ya! I was feeling the same way for soo long, and I still make excuses sometimes. I haven't been doing my newest workout for very long, but it is helpful that it's a 20 minute dvd real workout. You'll be sweating and panting afterwards. Maybe you need something like that, short but effective. Also, I believe that even if you can't get a workout in just to take a walk around the neighborhood, or do some sit ups and push ups to keep your body moving. Then when thing settle down you can get back into a routine. We all know it's hard to keep a diet and workout, and we all know it's easy to make excuses, but you just have to do it! We're all in the same boat and here to support each other. Don't give up!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I agree with going to bed a bit earlier, it will make it easier to get up earlier. Even if you can't do it every day, you should try to get to bed earlier as much as possible. Also try getting into a regular sleep pattern. This helps me immensely. And yes, do try to get up even half an hour earlier to get your workout. It's all about priority. No one is going to do it for you, you have to do it yourself. If you drink coffee and have a pot that automatically kicks on, set it to kick on just a minute before your alarm clock, so you wake up to the smell of coffee. Or have an energizing smoothie before your workout to give you an energy boost. Good luck, and keep going! You are the only one that can do this for you!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I too agree to try going to bed earlier. Then I would pick two days out of the week to get up and get my exercise done. The next week add another day and next week another day and so on. That way your body can gradually get used to getting up earlier and maybe it won't be so bad. Before you know it you will be up 5-6 mornings a week getting that exercise in. Good Luck!!
  • Kmdforsythe
    Kmdforsythe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some days there just isn't any time to work out. Try finding ways to get a little exercise in during the day. Make a point to take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk as much as possible. There are a good number of exercises that you can do at your desk without anyone noticing.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the super busy part. Something that may help is to actually schedule it in on your calendar. I've had nights that I've done a workout at 10:30 and night and it wasn't a problem. I actually sleep so much better when i workout before bed. here's my secret. I do my workout and then take a super hot bath or shower, get into some comfy pjs and maybe have a cup of hot tea. By then I'm sleepy and i fall asleep almost immediately. If that's not something you can see yourself doing ( I've seen some people say that they can't sleep after a workout too close to bedtime) Then I would suggest the whole going to bed a little earlier like was suggested above. Do the math and find out how much sleep you usually get per night and see if you're getting less than 6 hours a night. Sleep deprivation and not consuming enough calories are some of the biggest culprits in derailing exercisers. hope this helps!
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. But, as we women get older, our only choice to make sure that we stay in the size we prefer is sweat. And, unfortunately, with our busy lives, the morning time seems to be the only time to fit it in. I am speaking on most authority. Me and my snooze alarm had a delightful relationship, once upon a time...

Anyway. I am now used to it. It is a lifestyle. It is also the only reason I've lost as much as I have in the time frame I have...

So, hang in there. And just pull yourself out of bed. Eventually you will see the benefit and that will only help do so more.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Getting that work out in first thing is a great idea if you can possibly adjust your schedule to do it. If not, is there any possible way of getting something in between work and getting dinner? Even if that makes dinner a half hour later, then at least you can relax after dinner. I find if I wait until after everything else is done, I am just too tired to exercise.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not a morning person at all and it's hard enough for me to get myself and a 6 and 2 year old ready, drop them off and get to class by 9:30! I can't imagine having to get up any earlier to fit in exercise. I end up doing mine late at night. Not sure if it's bad for me or not...I have heard that it can make it hard for you to fall asleep, but I'm always so exhausted and behind on my sleep that I have no problem. lol. I have exercised as late as 2 in the morning! oh well...
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I feel very much like you do. I just cannot bring myself to get up early to exercise. I agree with what a lot of posters have said - try to squeeze it in when you can. I have been fortunate this past year to have a friend at work who has become my walking partner, and on most days we "force" each other to walk for 30 minutes at lunch time. I also bought a good recumbant bike a few years ago and on days when I can't make myself go to the gym or do anything else, I do ride the bike for 30 minutes, while watching TV and/or reading. In better weather, I try to get in as much outdoor walking as possible, usually in the evening.

I think my overall advice is "think small". Do what you can, but DO SOMETHING! :flowerforyou:
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think we all struggle with that stuff - It's a matter of putting your priorities straight. What is your priority? and extra half hour of sleep or the workout? My suggestion - workout on both Saturday and Sunday (assuming those are days off for you - as you have extra time) and try to fit in 2 more during the week. So 4 workouts and that's a lot better than 2 or zero. This way, you only need to get up twice during the week to squeeze in y our workout.

I think it's like the old saying - if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Don't beat yourself up though - everyone goes through this that juggles a busy schedule. I would try to plan everything out a week in advance and stick to your plan and goals.

if you want it - you will do it! Now...get to the gym! :happy:
  • efcdcdb
    Options
    What is your priority? and extra half hour of sleep or the workout?

That's easy for me: extra half hour of sleep! :yawn:
  • efcdcdb
    Options
    If not, is there any possible way of getting something in between work and getting dinner? Even if that makes dinner a half hour later, then at least you can relax after dinner.

That may sound like a good idea but for me, that is tough too. I leave the house at 6:45 a.m. and get home around 6:00 p.m., on a normal day. For me to tack on a stop at the gym and get home after 7:00 p.m. is just too hard...even though it would be nice to get it over with. That may work for someone who normally gets home from work by 4:00 pm or so, but not for folks who put in a longer work day or have a longer commute. :noway:
  • JordanGirl5
    JordanGirl5 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I managed to get my workout in BEFORE my Board Meeting and taking my son to baseball practice!