Sociable food ideas

Options
kaaylaa101
kaaylaa101 Posts: 26 Member
Hi everyone.

Yesterday my partner and I had some friends over for dinner, drinks and games on the Xbox Kinect. Much fun by all, except my MFP food diary is suffering a bit!! Haha..

So for dinner we did Lasagne - obviously full of fats and calories with beef and cheese - but always a good winner and an easy pleaser with a crowd of people..!

I didn't want to ruin it with substituting the beef with Quorn as my partner hates it!

I just wondered what everyone else would cook for sociable events at home? Also what drinks would you have?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have :-)

Michaela xx

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do lasagna, I'd for sure google low fat or what ever.. I know wholefoods.com has one thats really good... there's stuff out there!
    When I make something for a lot of people, i love making chili, super easy and healthy! Also, as far as a bread side.. great value brand has like 100 cal or less rolls, delish. (for lasagna) for chili, vita top corn muffins are PERFECT!
    veggie tray with ranch dip? Ranch dip can be made almost fat free!
    weight watchers mexican crock pot chicken is the biggest hit i've ever had! baked scoops add to the greatness!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    In the past I've put out different breads, cured/cooked meats, cheeses, salad, pickle buffet style with a George Forman style grill plugged in so people can either put together a salad, sandwich or pannini. It went down a storm and everyone is in control of their own portions. I had dips, chips etc on the side for nibbles too.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When it's a social, I like to make vegetarian burritos, or set aside extra lean mince beef for the meat lovers. So it's more of a buffet-make-your-own-burrito-up-on-your-plate.

Drinks-wise - that's a tough one, as my crowd always drink beer. :drinker:
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    If you're only having these social events every now and again, I probably wouldn't worry about the splurge. But if you're always having these social events, then it would be a good idea to find a healthy choice that everybody can swallow.
  • kaaylaa101
    Options
    Thanks everyone - the mini buffet ideas are good, I hadn't really thought of doing that. And I love the burrito idea!!
  • lolly933
    lolly933 Posts: 2
    Options
    Kaylaaaaa,
    Little tip with lasagna ... use light Philadelphia & milk heated instead of white sauce & bulk the mince up with lots of mushrooms & onions ... you would be amazed how much more low fat it is without jar white sauce ... and try low fat cheese on top (no one will know!) xxx
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Also what drinks would you have?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have :-)

Skinny Girl Margarita!!! http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com/home.php Oh so good. The Margarita mix is HARD to find in the Liquor store (its always sold out here, and many places dont sell it), so we make our own. LOTS of fresh lime luice (must be fresh... seriously), Clear Tequilla, Orange Liquor (justa little for sweetness), and soda water/tonic. I prefer tonic. Mix to taste, just dont overdue the Orange Liquor!
  • kaaylaa101
    Options
    I don't use jars too expensive lol, i made my own bechamel sauce but the flour made it so calorific! i didnt know flour was bad lol x