Strength Training

Options
Maybe this has already been asked, or maybe I am just missing something and being dense - it happens! haha!

I was curious about when we enter strength training in MFP...i noticed that it does not seem to indicate ANY calories burned? I was wondering why? Or is this site just more programmed to calculate cardio workouts and the weights are there as a reference?

Suzi

Replies

• maller07
    Options
    You can also enter the strength training under cardio. That's what I do so it will calculate in the calories burned.
  • prozacrefugee
    Options
    If you're doing strength training, rather than endurance, it's extremely difficult to measure how much effort you're putting in, as it's over very quickly compared to the rest period. Pl.us the main caloric benefit will be found after a few days, not immediately in the exercise as with cardio.
  • facerme
    Options
    I post what workouts i did in the weights section. then i add the time and type of weight work i did in the cardio section. if you look through my fitness diary you will be able to see from a few weeks ago what i did. hope this helps :)
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    the number of calories burned depends heavily on your heart rate and the amount of energy you put intot eh workout. if you are doing a more traditional workout, rest periods of 1.5 to 2 minutes or even longer, then the weight training option the the cardio list is close.
    you can also buy a cheap heart rate monitor watch, be sure to get on that counts burned calories. just turn in the monitor to the calorie counting mode it has and check your heart rate bewteen each set. i bought one at walmart for $25 and it is very acurate.