This is just about the worst day.

Options
daisy89
daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
Yesterday, my boyfriend and I went to the movies to watch "I am Number Four" (it was pretty good). Once the movie was done, I accidentally left both my phone and my iPod touch in the cup holder.

As soon as I realized that, my boyfriend and I rushed back into the theatre, but they were gone!

Now, I would like to add that, anytime I find an expensive phone or iPod, I give it back to the person who's lost it. But, alas, I've called and sent text messages, without a single reply. My phone has been turned off, and I can't GPS track my iPod because it hasn't been taken into a wi-fi hotspot. I've given up hope of seeing them again.

This really sucks! I know it's just a phone and it's just an iPod, but I don't have a car, and my phone helps me find rides to work from friends, and my iPod is the reason why I've been losing weight (I have Nike plus and MFP as apps) !

I guess I just expected someone to give them back, since I always do. I'm a broke college student and I don't have the money to replace either of them.

This really makes me more pessimistic about the bad in people. Why is it that we (the good ones) always get shafted in the end?

Replies

• lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry!! Ugh... I can like... FEEL that feeling of when you know you've lost something important. :( I can't do anything to make it all better... But I hope either you get your stuff back and/or your day looks up.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I am so sorry, that really sucks! People are so crappy =(
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    That sucks :( I have totally been there, and it is the worst feeling. I hope whoever took them gets a karma whiplash that is twice as bad!
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hey

Im sorry to hear that happened :-( like you I am honet too - someone left their ipod on the treadmill, so handed it in at reception! It should be that simple eh.
    Hope you get them back, or somethig comes along to make your day brighter

xx
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So sorry this happened to you. There are some good people out there, though. Did you ask at the theater, too? I've been surprised at the integrity of low-paid theater workers who put things they find in the lost-and-found.

Hope the rest of the week is better for you!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a really bad day! I hope the person who found your stuff gives it back....I know it doesn't make it any better. I hope you day gets a lot better.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    Oh hun I'm sorry! That does truly suck. I'm with you, I always turn in things I find! Seems sad that there are people that wouldn't.
  • em_mar_10
    Options
    Sorry that happened to you! It sucks to be reminded that there are a few bad people in this world. :-( I am also the type to return things. Once found a phone on the sidewalk on my normal walking route and picked it up and called "mom" on it to figure out how to find the person to return it to! I would hope that someone would do the same for me. And I am sorry that they didn't do it for you. Don't lose faith in the human race and don't give up on your fitness goals. There are a few bad people in this world, but I believe they are in the minority.
  • Simonscat
    Options
    Oh no!
    I'm so sorry :(
    The majority of people are selfish!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    T_T
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    IM sorry that happened to you and I hope you get them back.. I dont understand people...I was at the gas station a few months back and there was a roll of 20's on the floor I picked it up and gave it to the clerk and he said to me Id just keep it if I were you.. and I told him If it was me that lost it I would hope someone would return it.... he looked at me like I was crazzzy...
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Did you file a police report?

Then, I'd call Apple and see if there's any way they can track it... never hurts to try, right? Same for your phone. KEEP trying to track both for at least a week. Believe it or not, I had someone track ME down after I lost my purse and it took them 2 days.

But I get it... I'm a student too and last year in April, someone broke into my house and stole my laptop WHICH HAD MY FINAL ON IT!!! Yeah. THAT sucked. My ipod saved my life - but not my final. :-( These things are too damned expensive for people to just go and snatch them... they have no idea who they're taking from and just because we have them, doesn't mean we bought them. Sometimes they're a gift, I got mine via student loans which I'll have to pay back, sometimes we do buy them but had to save for a year.... people make all kinds of judgments about others.

I hope, somehow, your phone and Ipod make their way back to you. I really do. :: hugs ::
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wow - that is awful. I'm often surprised how many people actually do turn in items. I'm always skeptical, and figure people are going to always run off with something they find, but there are a lot of people out there who do the right thing.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was just having a conversation with my bf the other day about people who steal. He knows some kid who stole an i pod touch and then proceeded to sell it for weed money! I told my bf that even though those things can be replaced there is nothing worse then knowing someone stole your property and could be using it or selling it. I always return things if I've found them. I really hope things get better for you. Don't worry Karma is a *****!
  • daisy89
    Options
    So sorry this happened to you. There are some good people out there, though. Did you ask at the theater, too? I've been surprised at the integrity of low-paid theater workers who put things they find in the lost-and-found.

Hope the rest of the week is better for you!

Yes, we asked the staff, but they hadn't been turned in. Also, my boyfriend's the assistant manager at that theatre, so I didn't want to accuse anyone.

Thanks for the well-wishes guys, they are making me feel better.

On a side note, I work for Apple, so when I was campus last semester and found an iPhone 4, I went into its contacts and dialed "Dad", just like that because:

1. I wouldn't even think of keeping it.
    2. How could I be an honest employee for my company after doing that?

Thanks for reminding me that there are still great people out there, guys. =]
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I would doible check with theatre management. I've had items returned at the end of an employess shift. Leave your contact info with them incase anyone turns it in. Post something on Craigslist (lost and found). Good Luck!
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That is awful. That happened to me at the bank last week. I left my Blackberry on the table where I was writing out my deposit slip. I noticed within a couple of minutes that I had left it...but it was gone. Oddly enough after several hours of nobody responding to my texts/calls when we offered a reward over text someone claimed to have "found it". Um, whatever. I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off in the bank looking for my phone and you "found it" and walked away with it. I paid $50 bucks to get back the blackberry that he "found"- when he could have just given it to a bank employee. But thank goodness he gave it back finally. I felt so miserable without it- I need it for work and pretty much everything else AND it was brand new.
    So sorry that you haven't found your phone. Fingers crossed.
  • daisy89
    Options
    Did you file a police report?

Then, I'd call Apple and see if there's any way they can track it... never hurts to try, right? Same for your phone. KEEP trying to track both for at least a week. Believe it or not, I had someone track ME down after I lost my purse and it took them 2 days.

But I get it... I'm a student too and last year in April, someone broke into my house and stole my laptop WHICH HAD MY FINAL ON IT!!! Yeah. THAT sucked. My ipod saved my life - but not my final. :-( These things are too damned expensive for people to just go and snatch them... they have no idea who they're taking from and just because we have them, doesn't mean we bought them. Sometimes they're a gift, I got mine via student loans which I'll have to pay back, sometimes we do buy them but had to save for a year.... people make all kinds of judgments about others.

I hope, somehow, your phone and Ipod make their way back to you. I really do. :: hugs ::

I haven't filed one. Part of me is still hoping they'll give them back.

I'm actually and Apple employee. =] I have GPS tracking on my iPod, but only when it's in wi-fi, so as soon as they connect to the internet, I'll be able to find it.

Ah!! My iPod was a GIFT from my co-worker and my phone, was next to free with a 2 year contract, BUT I can't pay the $200 for it OUT of contract. So, I totally understand the gifts and semblance of having money, I do have a great job, but I pay my own rent and all of my own bills (my family does not help me) and after all of that, there's not much left over.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Not sure who you have cell service with but call and see if you can have your phone blacklisted. This way if anyone tries to activate it they won't be able to.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    What a bummer, Daisy :( I’m sorry to hear this. I have a tendency to lose things so you definitely have my sympathy. Here’s hoping the iPhone dials home soon and you can get it back. Until then, I say you IM it incessantly saying, “Give me back my phone!"