Weights vs Cardio

KittyO8
KittyO8 Posts: 24
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
3 nights a week I do weights along with Cardio.

I was wondering which you thought was better to do first and why?

Thanks!

Replies

• Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    BUMP
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    There are 2 benefits that I see when doing weights first. You can lift harder and heavier, and you will be through a lot of your glycogen stores so once you start cardio you will begin to burn body fat earlier, and more, than if you did the cardio first.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It depends on you. I would suggest weights first, then cardio for the simple reason that you don't want to be fatigued when lifting weights or you might compromise form and injure yourself. As far as which way will help losing weight, I don't know if it makes any difference, although some with say it does, but they have never pointed to any published studies to prove it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Most people will say to lift first then do cardio because cardio tires you out so much and you won't be able to lift your best.

But it is probably whatever works best for you.
  • I don't know what's best but I know that it's easier to fatique quickly when lifting weights and then I can't do cardio as long so that's why I do cardio first.
  • I always find it better to do weights then cardio.

You can focus on building/toning muscle which in the end burns more calories gram vs gram of fat. Also I find I do horrible on weights when I do cardio first, however no matter when I do cardio I'm always tired out to the max.
    So for me, I like weights before cardio.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    There are 2 benefits that I see when doing weights first. You can lift harder and heavier, and you will be through a lot of your glycogen stores so once you start cardio you will begin to burn body fat earlier, and more, than if you did the cardio first.

^This is what my PT told me.....lift first then cardio.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    I've consistently read that it's better to do weights first. There are a couple of reasons why. First, you aren't tired, and therefore not as apt to use poor form and increase your chances of injury. Second, a recent article on this very issue said that you can significantly bring down blood pressure (and I believe cholesterol) by doing cardio after weights. I'm not sure why that is, but this study measured three groups' progess: one that didn't do cardio after weights, one that did cardio after weights and one that did cardio before weights, only the group that did cardio after weights showed this specific improvement. (Of course, all groups received benefits from the regular exercise.)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    you should do like five or ten minutes of light cardio before weightlifting and some unstactic stretches, it warms your muscles up...but besides the warm up, I agree with doing weight lifting first
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    I've done it both ways. During my cut cycles I do all my cardio first then lift. Right now since I'm in a strength cycle it's been 10 minutes of cardio, weights, then my cardio workout. I can't tell a difference. I have read though that cardio after weights helps strengthen the ol' ticker. I'm not sure. I do know when I run before I lift, my mile times are faster :laugh:
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    My sister who has a degree in sports medicine and her personal trainer licesnse said that it depends on your focus. If your main focus is losing weight then do the cardio first so that you have all your energy for that, however if your main focus is toning, then do the weights before cardio so that your muscles are not fatigued for that. She also suggested that I switch it up the order every other day or every other week to make both toning and burning the focus, just on different days.
  • Thank you so much for all the responses!!! There is a lot of great information here!! I like the idea of burning fat quicker with doing cardio last and also the switching it up every week or so to equal out the focus on the toning and losing weight! Right now I've been doing warm up, weights, cardio for the most part. If I go and work out with my husband that's when we do the cardio first and then weights which is just a couple times a week. And half the time I tag along with him I'm doing just cardio because I've already done my weights earlier in the day or yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.