Protein and Fat more than Total Calories

KCBollard
KCBollard Posts: 23 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So I'm still using MFP to log food intake because it's nice to get a good picture of what I'm eating but I'm more concerned about fat and protein, and how many fat calories (1g fat = 9 calories) I'm eating by calculating:

Total Fat Grams x 9 calories / total calories. i.e. 234g fat x 9 calories = 306 fat calories divided by total calories 1279 = 23.92% fat (Goal is 20%, but under 30% is average recommended and more realistic)

I started going to a trainer for some supplemental workouts and nutrition information and I have been upping my protein, so hopefully that will still help me lose weight.

Is anyone else using this approach? If so, please let me know, perhaps we can be MFP Friends and exchange meal/snack ideas.

Thanks, all!

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    My entire approach is all about the macro nutrients. Calories are a distant second. (Most of my clients and me eat high fat diets actually - but the concept is the same.) The first thing to do when anyone joins this site is raise protein! I recommend 30-35%, some might be more or less, but everyone should be higher! I wish they would adjust that soon.

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Yeah I manually changed my protein to 35% on the goals section.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    I did up my protein when I started using this site as well as my fiber intake. Less carbs, but more of the carbs from fiber. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad, the app for them provides all this information for you. I'm very disappointed that this portion of MFP is not available here on the website:(
  • jdkillin
    jdkillin Posts: 2 Member
    I have been doing Shaun T's Insanity workout. I'm a male, 5 ft 9in and weigh about 190 pounds. I eat about 1600 Calories a day which consists of approximately 45 g of fat and about 120 g of protein.
  • KCBollard
    Thanks, guys!

However, I could not figure out how to manually change my protein percentage; is that only with the iPhone app? I have the Android app, which does show some of the percentages, but is limited in some ways, too.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom
  • KCBollard
    Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.