"THE DRESS"

Options
Mom: If you lose much more weight they are not gonna be able to alter your dress enough for you to be able to fit into it anymore.
Me: SO!!! Do you want me to be fat and unhappy in my wedding dress??
Mom: So what are you gonna do buy a new one if its too big?
Me: NO! They will be able to alter it just fine.
Mom: And what if they cant.
Me: I will pay them a LOT to get it to fit.
Mom: But seriously what if they cant get it small enough?
Me: Then I will buy a new wedding dress. There is no way in FREAKING H*LL I am going into that church weighing MORE just to fit into the dress I have already bought. I would rather buy a whole new dress than keep on the weight for the dress I currently have.

Does anyone else think that it would be an absolutely RIDICULOUS request to keep the weight ON so that I can fit into my wedding dress???!!! HELLO!!!! I would rather have to sell the one I have and buy a whole new one so that I can look smokin' hot the day I get married. I still got about 32 more pounds to go and believe me I WILL get there. (My wedding is this September) So there is no point arguing about keeping weight on for a stupid dress that I can just go get another one of. But really... They can alter dresses something crazy so I doubt I will have to get a new one...But on the other hand my total weight loss goal is 50 lbs... so maybe not.

Replies

• JeanK56
    Options
    They can alter the dress... & Congratulations on your upcoming vows!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's silly of your mom. I ordered my wedding dress in September and have since lost substantial weight. It's going to hang off of me when I try it on in a week, but that's okay. They will alter it, they are professionals! And like you said, if it looks crappy, buy an off the rack dress. But it will look hot on your new body!!! SO WORTH IT!!! Ignore your mom's sabotage. My mom on the other hand thinks I need to lose way more weight...
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!. Years from now when you look back on your wedding you aren't going to care that you had to drastically alter your dress, or buy another one. You will remember how fantastic and sexy you felt walking down that aisle. And you will bask in all the attention, and everyone will tell you how gorgeous you look.

Sigh...you are making me want to have another wedding. Hmmm...wonder if my hubby would go for another wedding...even tho we've only been married four years, lol!

Good for you, keep up the hard work, and you will rock any dress you happen to wear!!!
  • ziggygirl2003
    ziggygirl2003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would rather have to buy 10 new dresses than stop my weight loss plan or try and gain some back *gasp*. Keep going and don't give up, and especially don't try to gain it back just to fit into your wedding dress. Who knows, if you do have to buy a new one, with your new body you might be able to find an even awesomer (I know not a word) dress. That is if your current one is not already awesome, I personally don't know so lets just assume there is indeed a more awesomer dress out there. :happy:
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    They can alter the dress... & Congratulations on your upcoming vows!
    Thanks!
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    After losing all that weight you DESERVE two dresses!!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't worry they can alter the dress for you, you will be amazed at what a good seamstress can do. You want to feel wonderful on your day and you will :)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you - buy as many dresses as you need to, but don't hold yourself back from your full potential!! Congrats and good luck on the big day!!!! :-D
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you - buy as many dresses as you need to, but don't hold yourself back from your full potential!! Congrats and good luck on the big day!!!! :-D

I would totes buy a new dress lol
  • Georgie_P
    Options
    KEEP GOING!!

They CAN and WILL Alter the dress!!! Not knowing the whole situation but maybe mom is a bit intimidated by your success?!

Keep up the great work!
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    OMG definitely lose the weight - your wedding is about YOU and you want to look and feel amazing!

I'm not married so I'm not quite sure how fittings operate, but maybe mention this to your tailor? Tell them you are on a weightloss plan and ask if it makes sense to start with a size too small right now. I don't know what's easier to fit...just a thought! Make sure they are prepared for a body transformation :)

Good luck and congrats!
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey

I made reference to just this topic earlier today - becming too slim to alter my wedding dress! It's a stupid worry spesh as I havn't lost that much weight, but have gone down a dress size.

I reckon you'll be fine, and I totally understand how you feel - we all want to look and feel our best for our wedding days!
    I am getting married in May, and even though I have not reached my goal weight (my only goal really was to try lose some weight, before my wedding, not ness get to a certain weight if that makes sense!)

I have read that sometimes wedding dresses cannot be altered more than 2 dress sizes, as it can mess up the design of he dress / how it fits..

xx
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey

I made reference to just this topic earlier today - becming too slim to alter my wedding dress! It's a stupid worry spesh as I havn't lost that much weight, but have gone down a dress size.

I reckon you'll be fine, and I totally understand how you feel - we all want to look and feel our best for our wedding days!
    I am getting married in May, and even though I have not reached my goal weight (my only goal really was to try lose some weight, before my wedding, not ness get to a certain weight if that makes sense!)

I have read that sometimes wedding dresses cannot be altered more than 2 dress sizes, as it can mess up the design of he dress / how it fits..

xx
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how my mom would act ... oh well, love her but keep losing weight and I am sure if they can't make the old dress fit, you will find an even better dress in a smaller size. Congratulations
  • KWSR16
    Options
    I would rather have to buy 10 new dresses than stop my weight loss plan or try and gain some back *gasp*. Keep going and don't give up, and especially don't try to gain it back just to fit into your wedding dress. Who knows, if you do have to buy a new one, with your new body you might be able to find an even awesomer (I know not a word) dress. That is if your current one is not already awesome, I personally don't know so lets just assume there is indeed a more awesomer dress out there. :happy:

OMG I totally love that you used the word awesomer! lol And you're probably right. There most likely is an awesomer dress out there. Who knows maybe by the time I get super hot and stuff that way awesomer dress will be on sale too!! YAY!:wink:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's just a dress. Just like a wedding is not a marriage, the dress is secondary to the fact that the man who marries you won't just be getting a girl in a pretty dress- he'll marry someone who is healthy, beautiful inside and out, and who knows how to take good care of herself!

Congrats!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Parents/families can be really weird about weight loss. My bf lost 20lbs over the course of a YEAR (so not like a drastic, immediate change) his grandmother and sister teased him about being too skinny, and then when he said "No I'm a healthy weight" and told them his weight, (which is at the high end of the healthy BMI) they then started teasing him about being fat (unrelated note, I don't really like his family a lot)

Just ignore them and keep going! You are doing awesome!
  • KWSR16
    Options
    It's just a dress. Just like a wedding is not a marriage, the dress is secondary to the fact that the man who marries you won't just be getting a girl in a pretty dress- he'll marry someone who is healthy, beautiful inside and out, and who knows how to take good care of herself!

Congrats!

That is very, very true! Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in July and I want to lose 50 more pounds before then, I don't want to look for a dress until I'm 20 pounds from my goal as I fear them not being able to alter it that much.
    That being said everyone I know is bugging me that I MUST buy a dress now! Please why would I want to try on dresses now when I'll look so much hotter in them in a few months? LOL IF I look now I'll just upset myself, I'd rather buy somethign off the rack closer to my wedding.
    OP it is totally worth buying a new dress to keep losing the weight, so your happy with how you look on your wedding day!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I would rather walk down the aisle in a white paper sack than to stay heavy just to fit into a dress! You got my vote! Alter it to Hell or buy a new dress to go with your new body! :glasses: