P90X

Options
Ok. I started P90X last week. I really like it but there are some parts of it that I just CANNOT (not as in I give up, as in I can't physically do it) do an entire set of, most of which are the push ups in chest and back and some of the lunges in plyo. Is this normal and will it improve with time? I've also noticed that when I'm only burning 340 calories doing plyo, I am seeing other people burning up around the 800-900 range. What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• Melisha82
    Options
    It will improve with time girl :) When I first started, I couldn't get through the sets either. Also, I have to push myself super hard to burn more calories. Maybe try pushing even harder next time to see what happens??
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    bump
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    When I started I couldnt do them all either! You will get stronger as you do them, just modify now and do more as you can!
    Perfectly Normal!

Good Luck to you!!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Im not sure who is burning 800-900 calories, but I never did....they most I ever burned was 500-600. BUT that being said the heavier you are and the more out of shape you, you will burn more!

If you use a Heart rate monitor, you will get a more accurate reading for your body.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I can burn 700-800 calories during plyo, however you're in your 20's and I'm in my 40's. I still weigh more than 200 pounds. It takes more calories to move 200 pounds. I am doing all of the jumps and squats, but believe me I couldn't do more than a half hour of Plyometrics my first week. So, just say...I CURRENTLY SUCK AT THIS, BUT I WILL GET BETTER. Because you will. You can do this!!!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did notice that I burned more calories this week than I did last week so I'm hoping that maybe I will gradually start to burn more as I am able to do more.
  • IdaBetances
    IdaBetances Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I burn around 300 calories on most routines...
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did notice that I burned more calories this week than I did last week so I'm hoping that maybe I will gradually start to burn more as I am able to do more.

You absolutely will. And your knees strength will improve as well.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my FB page, it's Tony Horton himself talking about why P90X is supposed to be hard :-)

http://www.facebook.com/ElaineKatko#!/note.php?note_id=161561910554030
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    YOU SUCK...right now! LOL. All us P90X heads did! Just dont quit! I promise you you will get better. Each day you will suck less until one glorious day there will be no sucking at all! Just dont quit! Good luck! Dont suck!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    YOU SUCK...right now! LOL. All us P90X heads did! Just dont quit! I promise you you will get better. Each day you will suck less until one glorious day there will be no sucking at all! Just dont quit! Good luck! Dont suck!

LOL. I'm not going to quit. I don't give up that easy. I think it's a good sign when it hurts to cough because my abs hurt so bad and I can't raise my arms over my head :)
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    If you fail, modify. If you fail at modifying, keep moving. But keep attempting the movements each time. Try and get one or two more reps before you have to modify it. Before you know it, you'll be able to do the whole set.

I modify a few of the moves (and sub Cardio X for Yoga X). Dreya Rolls are very difficult for me to do, and I came really close to faceplanting into the desk in my office when I first did it. I now do the leg raise to the ceiling portion of the exercise, but instead of rolling up to stand, I do a low "in-and-out" with my legs while on the floor, then repeat the whole process. It's easier (and safer!) for me to do. If I cannot do something well, I try and find another similar motion that works.