Starting Over

Options
Here's what I posted on April 30, 2009:

"Nine months ago, at 180 lbs., I made a goal of 155 by 55- 155 lbs by my 55th birthday. Well tomorrow's my birthday and this morning, for the first time in 25 years I stepped on the scale and saw 155!!! Last night I played basketball with men 20 and 30 years my junior and I kept up with them! My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol is great. I'm loving life. Thank you God... and MY FITNESS PAL!"

I quickly gained 5 lbs. back but stayed pretty good for 6 months. Then I've slowly gained it ALL back. This morning I got on the scales and read 180 lbs. again for the first time. So I'm back where I started. But I know I can do it now. And I know that I've got to keep using MyFitnessPal even after I've reached my goal.

My new goal is to reach 155 by October 1, and stay within 5 lbs of that forever. So I'm signing back on to MyFitnessPal.

Replies

• Mamakat25
    Options
    I have been in this position so many times before. I just last month discovered MFP and I know it has been the key to my success!!

Welcome back!!!
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    Welcome back. Sounds like you have your mind in the right place with saying that you want to stay within 5 lbs forever. That's the one place people a mistake with losing weight. It shouldn't be about dieting and getting to your goal and then forgetting about it. The only way to stay at your goal is to go into it knowing that it's not a diet, it's a life change.

Forever is the key word. You've had a taste of what it's like to be full of energy and healthy. Now you just have to get back there. You can do it. Good luck with your life change of becoming healthy again. :)
  • spiritgirl
    Options
    It is never to late to start over. Many of us have been there too. Glad you are back.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Welcome back I admire you doing this after 50, instead of giving up and allowing the weight to stick around. WTG!! You have done it once, you know you can do it again.
  • jcrook
    jcrook Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging words. I worked out early this morning (the first time in several months I'm sad to say). It is getting harder as I get older because of all the aches and pains that begin to pester you. My downhill slide began when I had to quit playing basketball because my knees had given out on me. But I want to get back to that place where I hated to miss my workout. I can do things that are easier on my knees than basketball.