When will weight loss catch up with working out?

Options
I started working out really consistently in November this year with a trainer and did not weigh myself but was focused more on measurements and losing inches than weight- Now that I have a work out routine down- I am trying to incorporate the weight loss piece...but it seems like the more I excercise the less weight I lose? I know there are ratios of muscle weighs more than fat but it is SO frustrating..

I get so down when I see how much I weigh I just want to give up...I don't think I'll ever be happy with myself.... so mad I have this diet mentality when I should really be celebrating that I have started to exercise regularly...

Any help or ideas for motivation even when the scale isn't dropping? Or better self talk when feeling down...

Thanks

Replies

• xstealth12x
    xstealth12x Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I say change up your routine! Hitting a plateau sucks, especially when you know you're putting in the effort, so keep it interesting, and keep your goals in mind. Personally, to stay on track, I hung up a shirt on my wall that's too small for me, and when I bought it it was too small even back then, and that's been my gauge. I want to look good in this shirt, and have it tight in the right places and when I feel like I've plateaued, i put on the shirt and see how far I've come.
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    You said you were more focused on measurements so - How are your clothes fitting? Have you noticed a difference? Sometimes the scales just take a bit longer to register the weight loss. That is how I felt when I first started in January. The scales don't seem to register the big effort I put into the weight loss - eating wise and exercise wise. But my clothes are feeling looser so I know I have lost inches, if not pounds.

How often do you weigh yourself? Once a week is more than enough as weight fluctuates daily.

I wish I knew what to say to encourage you. Maybe you should focus on the staying health side of things instead of the losing weight - and the weight loss may follow. If it doesn't, unless you have done your body good. :wink:
  • classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It took me almost 6 months to start seeing changes. I lose weight very slowly, that is just how my body is. Best advice I ever got was to "Be consistent!" And take a look at your diet, maybe you could change a few things.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with stealth- seems like pretty good advice. I didnt feel like I was losing but when you see your old skinny pants that are too big you know you are doing something right- it's a long life journey- no permanent solutions- focus on what we do today and look forward to working harder tomorrow
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You said it already. Focus on celebrating that you're exercising and feeling better and losing inches more so the weight. I lost 20 lbs in 27 days. And only lost 1 lb in the last month but had to buy new pants so I let that be my encouragement. I think switching up your workout routine will help as well from what others say at least.

Keep up the good work!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Make sure to take at least one day off a week to give your body a rest. Also, continue to do the measurements along with weight- do you have a body fat scale? That will help you know if you're losing fat, even if you're not losing weight. Keep up with the exercise- just think about how much good you're doing your heart and body!
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I have been working out like crazy for months (and this was all vigourous workouts!) and saw very slow weight loss but now that I have cut my diet I'm seeing the weight loss a little faster. I am not going to weigh myself for about 3 weeks though because of TOM, but even when you hit a plateau just keep up the routine and it will happen. I get that way too but I need to keep reminding myself that slow weight loss is always better!
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    I am thinking the same thing with the scale and weight training. I've been very consistant for 3 weeks and my diet is great but still no budge. I keep thinking, it's got to come along pretty soon! What keeps me going is that I am doing this for other reasons than just losing weight. I know it's giving me energy. I think I'm thinking clearer (hows that for clear thinking!). And I know that no matter what I am not going to get any younger and my metabolism is not going to speed up all on it own. I need to be active and stay active. Check with me in a week or two to see if I still believe this!!! :laugh:
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Food! It is all in the diet. I assume you tracking your food and calories. How much/little are you getting? Exercise is the paint job on a new car. You can lose inches and start looking great but if the Fuel going in is not what the car needs it wont get you anywhere. I hold weekly meetings (weight loss challenges) and see this all the time. Someone starts to workout and the weight loss stalls out. First, thing is to remember that your body is a machine, it WILL react to anything it is not used to. If you start working out your body now has much greater nutritional needs. If you were eating 1200calories a day and not working out that is what your body expects. If you are still eating 1200 calories a day but burning 300 or 400 calories in exercise your body will RETAIN what it anticipates it needs. What i would suggest is giving yourself 150 to 200 calories back to yourself in high protein snack. Eventually the body will respond. With each pound of muscle you put on you are gaining 14/cal of metabolism and sooner or later that muscle will start to burn the fat! Give you vehicle it needs to get you from A to B and it will, you may just have a bumps and toll roads along the way.

One last note: Your body is almost all water, How much water are you putting in it to keep it that way? My recommendation is 1/2 your body weight in ounces. (i.e i am 200lbs therefore i require at LEAST 100oz a day) Water is THE most important ingredient to weight loss and overall health. Don't believe me, try running a marathon without any water, your body will let you know what it thinks :o)

Please feel free to message me or send me a food log.
    Justin J
    Helping to make YOULIGHTER!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Food! It is all in the diet. I assume you tracking your food and calories. How much/little are you getting? Exercise is the paint job on a new car. You can lose inches and start looking great but if the Fuel going in is not what the car needs it wont get you anywhere. I hold weekly meetings (weight loss challenges) and see this all the time. Someone starts to workout and the weight loss stalls out. First, thing is to remember that your body is a machine, it WILL react to anything it is not used to. If you start working out your body now has much greater nutritional needs. If you were eating 1200calories a day and not working out that is what your body expects. If you are still eating 1200 calories a day but burning 300 or 400 calories in exercise your body will RETAIN what it anticipates it needs. What i would suggest is giving yourself 150 to 200 calories back to yourself in high protein snack. Eventually the body will respond. With each pound of muscle you put on you are gaining 14/cal of metabolism and sooner or later that muscle will start to burn the fat! Give you vehicle it needs to get you from A to B and it will, you may just have a bumps and toll roads along the way.

One last note: Your body is almost all water, How much water are you putting in it to keep it that way? My recommendation is 1/2 your body weight in ounces. (i.e i am 200lbs therefore i require at LEAST 100oz a day) Water is THE most important ingredient to weight loss and overall health. Don't believe me, try running a marathon without any water, your body will let you know what it thinks :o)

Justin J

YAY! YAY! YAY! Justin SO well said!!!!! I want to add that if I don't eat my 1200 AND ALL my exercise calories, I don't lose weight.......Also, as I started losing weight I started looking wrinkly I thought "wow, what a compromise...I must have to be fat to look young, lose weight and my skin sags" NOPE I increased my water - just dealing with this MFP business and my lines and wrinkles are not so bad ...... SO YAY! WATER WATER WATER
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Justin J

Great advice!!
  • muffintopteri
    Options

Justin J
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    Wow this makes so much sense! I think I need more protein.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is what MFP IS ALL ABOUT!!! I didn't realize how powerful this forum really is. I am so glad I was able to shine some light for all of you. I am a personal wellness coach part time and deal with a lot of folks like you and I. The one difference is in person, people don't seem to listen. Maybe I should just blog what I want to say:) Again I am humbled at how well this forum works. Good luck to all and God bless.

JUSTIN