tilapia: bad or good?

Options
I thought fish was supposed to be good for you. I just read 3 articles saying tilapia is bad because of low omega-3 and high omega-6. Why is it that every time I think i'm making a good food choice someone comes around and tells me it's bad?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I stay away from it, but that's more because of an episode of Dirty Jobs I once saw :tongue:
  • elfie9863
    Options
    EWWWWW.....tastes like MUD!!!!

Just my opinion....
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything bad about it. What were the sources of the articles you read? Were they from a medical journal? I would do some more researching and just make sure it wasn't someone's opinion.

Good luck!

I just found one. It was the only legit authors and source I found in my search though.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tilapia/MY00167
  • tater8589
    Options
    Huh? I always heard it was good. I like to bake mine in foil with a little butter and some ms dash. I will have to look into this.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hey, there are scientific studies that tell you not to use your hair dryer because it will give you cancer . . . sometimes take these with a grain of salt!
    Tilapia may not be as heavy on the Omega's but it is still a good choice as it is a lean protein.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be something better or worse for you. Give me any item and I'll tell ya both sides. It's all in how you want to take it really.

The key is moderation.

Eggs used to get a bad rep. Now, they're saying otherwise. Just do it in moderation, not an abundance, and you'll be fine.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Eggs, are great, no they are bad, wait they are perfect. I agree these studies change like the weather. Fish is high in protein regardless of which type so eat it.
  • wriglucy
    Options
    Tilapia, with the omega 6, is more prone to cause clotting in the blood. Read my previous post with the link. All in moderation is ok...remember that. Yeah it may be used in clotting, but I don't think eating it now and then would hurt you.

Good luck!
  • wriglucy
    Options
    Eggs, are great, no they are bad, wait they are perfect. I agree these studies change like the weather. Fish is high in protein regardless of which type so eat it.

Eggs are good, in terms of the protein, which is just in the egg whites. The yolks are where all the cholesterol and fat are. So...yes, they are good and bad, depends what part you look at :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Tilapia may not be exactly the same as, say, Salmon - in terms of Omegas and whatnot, but let's face it - most people would get bored eating the same fish/meat all the time. Tilapia is a great source of protein and I find it to be quite tasty.
    Eggs are good, in terms of the protein, which is just in the egg whites. The yolks are where all the cholesterol and fat are. So...yes, they are good and bad, depends what part you look at :)
    This is kind of off-topic, but more research is showing that dietary cholesterol has very little to do with your blood cholesterol levels. I eat 2 eggs a day and regularly exceed the recommendations for cholesterol, and my levels are fantastic (just had them tested)! Eggs are wonderful for you - no better way to start the day, in my opinion.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I won't eat tilapia only because it is farmed in Mexico under unsanitary conditions. If an item on the menu just had garbage for lunch before it was brought to the table, that is enough to disqualify it for me.