Suggestions low calorie biscuit dough - for pot pies?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
I might be pushing it, but does anyone know how to make low calorie (that's not full of sodium) dough? Something Similar to a biscuit dough.

I was using the Pillsbury - Cresents Rolls - Reduced Fat....but I ended up needing 2 rolls (56 grams worth) to make the pot pies...so it ended up being 180 calories just for the bread on 1 pie.... :(

So I thought maybe if I made my own, I could get something lower calorie.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm interested to see answers to this too!!
  • bugpuddin
    Options
    Try Carbquik - it's like Bisquick. You can order it from www.netrition.com.

It's the only baking mix I use.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You can try filo dough, I used it for a chicken pot pie once and it was good, more flaky than real dough though, or you could try puff pastry shells that are in the frozen foods section. I'm pretty much a Heartsmart Bisquick gal though, I love it and even have a Bisquick cookbook that I use at least once a week to make/try a new recipe! It's so versatile I :heart: Bisquick!

Good luck,
    Kelly
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Cresent rolls of any kind are usually loaded with lots of fat. My money is on the Reduced Fat Bisquick! Use Fat Free milk to mix with it. ;-)
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Are you opposed to a from scratch recipe? There are some great ones that use buttermilk or yogurt and very little butter and turn out really well. Most have a mix of whole wheat (or other protein rich flour) and white flour and can be changed a bit to suit your taste. Also, because they are biscuits, the dough does fine with a rest in the fridge so it can be made ahead of time.

The recipes I have tried work well as a topping or as a stand alone biscuit, I have not tried them as a bottom crust. Just let me know if you are interested and I can post a few links and recipes.
  • GrandGal2
    Options
    I found a variety of low cal recipes--which is usually a basic traditional mix with variations.
    And some are not very LOW! So I am trying to be creative and come up with my own variation.

Some variations: Substitute whole milk for skim milk or a mix of plain, non-fat yogurt and skim milk.
    Use a bit of honey, agave or other artificial sweetener for little flavor balance.
    Substitute white flour or use a combination of white flour with whole wheat flour, rice or soy flour.
    I add a little flax seed meal too. I found one that incorporates oats--but yet to try that.

(Question: When does a biscuit become a muffin??? . . . just thinking out loud)

I am experimenting today with pureed vegetables (cooked/steamed onion and cauliflower) and yogurt
    to substitute for some of the liquid--ideas I found searching and reading recipes for low cal biscuits.
    Tonight I am making it for a turkey pot pie topper.

It may or may not be something I can use as an individual biscuit, but will try to bake one or two on
    the side and see how they do when they stand alone.

I hadn't heard about the carbquick, but hope to try it out soon.
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I might be pushing it, but does anyone know how to make low calorie (that's not full of sodium) dough? Something Similar to a biscuit dough.

I was using the Pillsbury - Cresents Rolls - Reduced Fat....but I ended up needing 2 rolls (56 grams worth) to make the pot pies...so it ended up being 180 calories just for the bread on 1 pie.... :(

So I thought maybe if I made my own, I could get something lower calorie.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if you have these but I have these ramiken [probably screwing that word up]. Anyway I'll take chicken and brown that up with some veggies. After that I take cream of chicken soup mix that all up and simmer it a bit. Feel free to adjust it however you want. once it's nice and thick, I portion it out into those ramikens and I believe they are 8-10oz ceramic containers. If you take the reduced fat cresent roll dough and just flatten one out a bit and put over the ramiken now it won't cover it up completely but it makes it look all pretty! After that I take an egg and a few tablespoons of water and wisk that and do an egg wash over the dough and bake them for about 17 minutes at 350. I tried to find a picture of mine cant find it!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Crescent rolls have soooo much fat - you'd even be better with shortcrust pastry!

I'd go with the low fat Bisquick, but even a regular "from scratch" scone (8 oz flour, 2oz butter, milk to mix) would probably be lower in calories than crescent rolls.