Newbie started 5 days ago and I need some answers please

Options
Hi,
I just started 5 days ago and it seems really easy to track your caloric intake. I would like to know if anyone else have a high carbohydrate range that its saying you should intake. I read one post where someone was watching their carbohydrate intake.

Has anyone lost weight strictly by following the suggestion of my fitnesspal?

Replies

• vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 65 lbs since joining this site last February. I'm exercising and watching calories and trying to keep sugar and sodium in check. But I'm over those two frequently it seems.
  • Firebranda
    Firebranda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To begin with I followed only the calorie intake suggestions. Now I watch everything else intermittently. I 'feel' that the calorie count is most important and do my best to make healthy choices otherwise.
  • ziggy1957
    Options
    hi .... i hear you .... and what i do is on bad days i dont go over my calorie count....... and when im watching what i eat it i cut the count by .....a 1/4 ....from 1900 to 1500........something like that ....... i do watch my nutritional count and do take vitamins to keep every thing in balance......... its working for me ..........good luck .........
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    Initially I only watched the calorie levels, but since I have always had problems with my blood sugar I started watching my sugar intake as well, and have not had any dizzy spells or sudden sugar drops since. I have also started watching my sodium levels and just feel a ton better on days I stay within range, and don't have nearly as much bloating. I think it promotes a healthier lifestyle all around if you try to stay within all the limits that MFP sets, and have lost 12 pounds in a month since joining, doing nothing but following the guidelines, staying within calorie limits and exercising.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 65 lbs since joining this site last February. I'm exercising and watching calories and trying to keep sugar and sodium in check. But I'm over those two frequently it seems.

I do the same. Usually after I've had cereal and a piece of fruit for breakfast I'm over my sugar. I would suggest once you've been doing it for 3-4 weeks you take a print out of your food report to the doctor. That way you'll know for sure in what areas you need to improve. And you're getting info from an actual doctor, not random internet people.
  • Richelleen
    Options
    hello.. yes.. same issue here.. i seem to be always over on my carb and my protien.. i try to keep my calories in range, but am still learning which vegetables are extremely high in carbs.. i also cut out anything white, no white bread or potatoes or white rice etc... then the carbs i do eat are at least good ones.. i haven't weighted myself yet.. not sure how often to do that, but i feel better..
  • bokieb4
    Options
    If you eat any sort of processed foods or microwave meals (sometimes an Amy's bowl is all I have time for) your sodium intake is shot for the day.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just started 5 days ago and it seems really easy to track your caloric intake. I would like to know if anyone else have a high carbohydrate range that its saying you should intake. I read one post where someone was watching their carbohydrate intake.

Has anyone lost weight strictly by following the suggestion of my fitnesspal?

carbs are good for you as long as they are complex carbs! Whole grains, fruits veggies!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    hello.. yes.. same issue here.. i seem to be always over on my carb and my protien.. i try to keep my calories in range, but am still learning which vegetables are extremely high in carbs.. i also cut out anything white, no white bread or potatoes or white rice etc... then the carbs i do eat are at least good ones.. i haven't weighted myself yet.. not sure how often to do that, but i feel better..

A baked potato is actually good for you. Full of nutrients.
  • monica208
    Options
    I Follow the guidelines on here although I'm always over my sugar due to natural sugars in fruit. I do watch my sodium very closely too. I have lost 22 from folksinger these guidelines and working out. Best of luck to you
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Here's my method...

They say its safe to lose 2 lbs a week.

2 lbs equal approximately 7000 calories.

7000 kcal divided by 7 days a week equals 1000kcal per day that I need to make go away.

My BMR is 2000 kcal per day. So I burn 2000 calories just sitting around looking pretty.

I need a 1000kcal deficit daily to lose two pounds a week.

If I eat 1500 kcals, I exercise enough to burn 500. {(-2000BMR) + (-500Exercise)} +(1500calories eaten) = -1000 kcal gone

If I eat 1000 I don't exercise (not recommended!). If I eat 2500 I try to burn 1500 kcals.

Here are two websites I use to calculate BMR and calories burned.
    http://www.bmrcalculator.org/
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I try to watch my carbs and salt because the high carbs wreck my blood sugar levels which makes me starve. I find too much salt does crazy things to the scales. BUT IT IS REALLY HARD to stay with the suggested items from this site. Not because its unrealistic, its just that my life is surrounded with bad bad food.
  • jineat
    jineat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What a success story, great for you. I hope to follow in your footsteps. I'm already addicted to this site.
    Thanks for replying.
  • jineat
    Options
    Thanks for replying and good luck with your last 15lbs. People on this site are so full of energy and information.
  • jineat
    Options
    Thank you, and I will keep that in mind and good luck to you also.
  • jineat
    Options
    That's a good point with cutting out the white foods like bread. I only eat 100% whole wheat and I'm trying to curb the sugar to a pudding or just fruits.
  • jineat
    Options
    I do love to work out and I am following the guidelines and sticking to them. I haven't gone over in calories yet and I
    hope I don't until I reach my goal and even then I don't plan on going over much.

Thanks for the encouragement
  • jineat
    Options
    Its easy to stay within the calorie range but I don't always get in the fats and number of carbs I'm suppose to and I exercise
    5 days a week. I will try those recommended websites to calc my BMR.

Thanks for the advice, well appreciated!
  • jineat
    Options
    Congratulations! I have discussed several things with my doctor and I seem to be a medical mystery. My sodium intake is perfect and sometimes I don't have enough in my system. It's good to know that you go over your sugar intake and was still able to take the weight off, that was amazing.

Thanks for the advice and once again congratulations on your weight loss.