Is it my shoes?

Options
mimzy
mimzy Posts: 135 Member
I have started walking at lunch on campus, around the quad which is 7/10 of a mile. We walk Monday thru Thursday and we walk at a very brisk pace. It's a good walk and there are slight hills that are just enough to feel the incline burn. We've been doing it 2 weeks now.

My question is this, Really soon after I start the journey my lower leg muscles hurt and burn pretty bad. :sad: I keep on going and it doesn't get worse, but it doesn't get better either. I thought at first it was becuase I was so out of shape, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's my shoes. I have Nike running shoes.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• mimzy
    Options
    I have started walking at lunch on campus, around the quad which is 7/10 of a mile. We walk Monday thru Thursday and we walk at a very brisk pace. It's a good walk and there are slight hills that are just enough to feel the incline burn. We've been doing it 2 weeks now.

My question is this, Really soon after I start the journey my lower leg muscles hurt and burn pretty bad. :sad: I keep on going and it doesn't get worse, but it doesn't get better either. I thought at first it was becuase I was so out of shape, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's my shoes. I have Nike running shoes.

What do you guys think?
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    yes......................get new shoes and not nike. they have really poor cushioning. also if you are serious about the fitness buy up on the shoes. they are your first defense against the impact. i am a runner and obviously opinionated about shoes................i used to wear nike then i tried some others and couldn't believe the difference.

if you can find a store that will let you try shoes and exchange for a different pair might be helpful. i order from roadrunner shoes and they allow that..............a 60 day fit guarantee.

good luck....................keep walking!
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    I had a pair of shoes that I wore to the gym and walking several miles a day. My legs, hip, back hurt like crazy. I kept telling my chiropractor and he finally figured out that the impact on my body was to much and thats why I was hurting. He told me to get ASICS shoes with the gel in the heel. That will help with the impact while walking. I resisted for a couple of weeks (I had just bought new shoes) and finally one day shopping at Big 5 with hubby, I found a pair on sale. I bought them and now LOVE them! They are what I wear all the time walking and most of the time during the day. Now I am wondering what to do with the 4 pairs of new shoes in my closet.
  • mimzy
    Options
    yes......................get new shoes and not nike. they have really poor cushioning. also if you are serious about the fitness buy up on the shoes. they are your first defense against the impact. i am a runner and obviously opinionated about shoes................i used to wear nike then i tried some others and couldn't believe the difference.

if you can find a store that will let you try shoes and exchange for a different pair might be helpful. i order from roadrunner shoes and they allow that..............a 60 day fit guarantee.

good luck....................keep walking!

which brand is your favorite?
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    I have a pair of Saucony running shoes... however I don't run... I wear them for walking. I love them! They have alot of support and excellent cushioning. I have had Asics before and really liked them as well. Good luck!
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of adidas running shoes once that I could wear for days!! And shoes in general hurt my feet, so since I wore out my adidas's I now just wear my rainbow's all year long
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Also, when you are walking fast you tend to 'stiffen' your foot movement and in turn the pain shoots up your leg which hurts most in your shins. Losen up a bit on your heel - toe movement and you will feel relief.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have shinsplints. I used to have problems with this no matter what shoes I used. Now I do stretches/strengthening exercises like this: stand with your toes on the edge of a curb and lift your body up and down. Do it like 30 times before you walk - it worked for me when it seemed like nothing else would! Good luck.
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have Saucony shoes that I got at ****'s sporting goods for $40. I love them so much that I find myself trying to match my outfits to my running shoes so I can wear them everywhere! It also helps me to stretch well before starting my workout. I use a wall and put the ball and toes of my foot on the wall and then lean toward the wall. After I started this combined with buying my new shoes, my pains went away almost immediately!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    When I first start walking a lot after a "break", the muscles around my ankels get really sore for a few days. Don't forget to stretch! And shoes are a big help!

:flowerforyou:
  • mimzy
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'm going to try to do some of those stretching exercises and my daughter has some expensive walking shoes that I'm going to take on a test "walk" to see if that helps.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have Saucony shoes that I got at ****'s sporting goods for $40. I love them so much that I find myself trying to match my outfits to my running shoes so I can wear them everywhere! It also helps me to stretch well before starting my workout. I use a wall and put the ball and toes of my foot on the wall and then lean toward the wall. After I started this combined with buying my new shoes, my pains went away almost immediately!

:laugh: Hahaha! Did it block the name of the sporting goods store??? :laugh:
  • Swolehamster
    Options
    If there is a VA Runners store nearby go to them. They'll put some flats on you first and have you lightly jog for them right outside the store. This way they can see how you plant your feet and find the exactly right shoe for you. Don't guess yourself nor go to a store like Kohls or Walmart and pick randomly!
  • kc_lea
    kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hihi!

Definitely sounds like shin splints!

I used to get them along the front of my lower leg but it sort of went away. More recently i started to get this strange pain along the insides of my lower legs - sort of running alongside my calf. I went to see a dr and low and behold - same thing. Still shin splints, different location. Go figure.

Try googling it and find some solutions.

Otherwise, I'd go and get it diagnosed anyway, just to make sure it's not something worse that you're aggravating.