Anyone know why

Options
After swimming I feel like I am starving and haven't eaten anything even though I have? I read I think on that webmd site that swimming isn't as good a work out as people think because the water is holding a lot of your weight up. If this were true, wouldn't I not feel exhausted and hungry after swimming?

Replies

• food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    After swimming I feel like I am starving and haven't eaten anything even though I have? I read I think on that webmd site that swimming isn't as good a work out as people think because the water is holding a lot of your weight up. If this were true, wouldn't I not feel exhausted and hungry after swimming?
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options

That's a good question, I am also ravenous after I swim.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I am always starving after I go swimming. I have no idea why that is!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because your metabolism gets revved up keeping you warm in the water.:flowerforyou:
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because your metabolism gets revved up keeping you warm in the water.:flowerforyou:

Also, even though the water holds up some of your weight, you have to work harder to breathe, because of the compression on your chest, and you are moving through a medium that is more dense than the air you're accustomed to moving through.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I've heard that swimming is an excellent way to burn calories, because it is efficient at working multiple muscle groups at a time. There is some disadvantage to swimming because you don't sweat (some calories are burned by your body trying to reduce its temperature.) However, I would think that disadvantage would be minimal. You guys are hungry because you've done a heck of a workout! Eat up!:flowerforyou: