Salad Dressing Suggestions

Options
Can anyone give me a good LOW CAL Salad Dressing?

Replies

• DJmom44
    Options
    Wishbone brand salad spritzers only have 10 cal for 10 squirts. My fav is balsamic vinaigrette.
  • georgiebear
    Options
    I personally like vinegar and olive oil. You can get different flavors of olive oil and vinegar. My personal favorite is Olive oil and Blood Orange vinegar.
  • dthompson17
    Options
    There is a fat free poppy seed dressing that is called Vermont something. Can't remember the exact name. It is so good! I have been craving it for days. If you type it in, it will pop up.
  • courtneykrueger
    Options
    I love the Kraft Zesty Italian Light... its like 15 cals for 2 tbsp and made with Olivia Oil! DELICIOUS!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse farms yogurt dressing are pretty good. Even a serving of "ranch" only has 70 cals.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ken's Steakhouse northern Italian. So good! I think it's 50 cals/2 tablespoons and maybe 7 grams of fat.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like one part lemon juice to 2 parts olive oil. Then I add salt and pepper or oregano or really any spice you like!
    I put it in a little jar and shake it up...it stays in my fridge:)
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I LOVE creamy salad dressings, so that was one of my big issues when starting this. However, I have found yogurt based dressings (ceasar, cucumber dill, etc) in the produce section of my grocery store. Brand name is Renee's... don't know if it's a local thing or not. However, I would look for those, or buy the powder mixes for dressings and sub in low cal/low fat yogurt instead of sour cream.

EDIT: the ceaser is about 45 cal/tbsp, the cucumber dill is about 40 cal/tbsp... however the flavor is pretty strong, so I usually use half!
  • TariPie
    TariPie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I, too, like the Bolthouse Yogurt dressings. The bleu cheese is very tasty, so is the ceaser. I like to use them as sandwich spreads, too. The honey mustard works well for that.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Paul Newman's Sesame Ginger Light is YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or I like Black bean and white corn Salsa as Salad dressing also!
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Some great options in this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/health/nutrition/07recipehealth.html?

I simply use a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've gotta put in a recommendation for Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette. Fabulous! Found in the refrigerated section of a Trader Joe's store. Oh, and 45 calories / 2 Tbsp.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like one part lemon juice to 2 parts olive oil. Then I add salt and pepper or oregano or really any spice you like!
    I put it in a little jar and shake it up...it stays in my fridge:)

Thanks for the suggestion, I do like lemon based salad dressing, this will probably work for me, too!
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just put fresh salsa on our salad, it is very low-cal and flavorful, of course you have to want that flavor!
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wishbone has great low cal dressings, I particularly like the catalina. If you have an Aldi's nearby, they have some really good ones.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes some good Fat Free ones. I LOVE the FF Catalina dressing & even prefer it to the regular Catalina dressing.
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just put fresh salsa on our salad, it is very low-cal and flavorful, of course you have to want that flavor!

That's a great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks.
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying making my own lately. Makes my salad taste light and refreshing.

Juice of one lemon or lime + EVOO + Agave nectar.. I usually do a tsp of each [evoo and agave nectar]. I sometimes add black pepper. I like the tangy and slightly sweet taste of it.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've gotta put in a recommendation for Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette. Fabulous! Found in the refrigerated section of a Trader Joe's store. Oh, and 45 calories / 2 Tbsp.

This may be my absolute favorite dressing! I just discovered it three weeks ago. I mix it with a little balsamic vinegar to make it go a little farther!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I, too, like the Bolthouse Yogurt dressings. The bleu cheese is very tasty, so is the ceaser. I like to use them as sandwich spreads, too. The honey mustard works well for that.
    Me too! Great minds think alike... :wink:

As far as salsa on salad, if you're on the mid-Atlantic US, Herr's makes an awesome Southwestern Blackbean and Corn Salsa (15 cals/serving). Sometimes I put that on salad and add cottage cheese, if I need more protein for the day. Yummmm