Sore ankles and knees

Options
Hello all.

I have been walking way too much! (I really love walking) and now my ankles are quite sore. Also the right side of my left knee.

So I won't walk today. However I don't know what other exercise to do! (any suggestions) I don't have anywhere to swim so water exercises are out of the picture)

Also how can I make the muscles around my ankles and knees stronger as I am told you can't make the joint stronger you must make the muscles around it stronger. Any suggestions?

Also I am called dark chocolate is good for the joints (85% cocoa) Is there any truth to this?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My Dr suggests a vitamin E capsule for my joints.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    Standing calf raises, seated calf raises, and stretching the foot, calf, and thighs.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Stretches for ankles and knees: Rolling them- with ankles, stand with weight on 1 foot. put ball of other foot to the floor and roll your ankle over 3-5 times in each direction. For Knees- stand feet close together (but not quite touching) and bend to place your hands on your knees. Bend the knees out in front of you, then swing them toward the left, then come back (straighten your legs a bit), then bend them out to the right and back to the front. Repeat 3-5x and then reverse.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    How old are the shoes you're using? And are they actually walking shoe/running shoes?
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    Hiya! It can be muscle and tendon/ligaments hurting. Try every second day for a little while, just gently. It will strengthen up and get used to it. Check that shoes are aligned to your feet properly and that you are not favoring a side when you walk. This can lead to knee pains, especially on one side. Other exercises when having these kind of pains that worked for me were cycling and swimming. Doesn't seem to use the same areas the same way. Worth a try. You will feel if it is a problem pretty much straight away. Helps to keep strength and stamina up as well as continue to burn those calories for you :happy:

Yes dark chocolate has those benefits but so do nuts, seeds, and leafy green veggies plus fish if you eat it! Keep the chocolate for occasional treats rather than remedies.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the ankles, but I just had to go to PT for my knee. In order to strengthen the knee, you have to strengthen your quads. Wall squats are great. Also straight leg raises - lie on your back, each side and your stomach - that way you work all of the muscle groups. All of those really helped my knee feel much better very quickly.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are walking on sidewalks and roads, try to find somewhere that has more of a cushion... maybe a track at a school that is more padded, or maybe a nice grassy area. Even a dirt or gravel path may be better. I used to walk 5 miles a day, 4-5 times a week, on the sidewalks, and it really ended up not being a good thing for my knees!

Now, I have knee problems and i am working out with a trainer at the gym to strengthen my knees. I have been going twice a week, for about 6 weeks and I do see a big difference already. The key is knowing what exercises to do and which ones NOT to do. I did not know that, so I finally realized I had to find a way to pay a trainer to get my knees into better shape. A few more weeks of the trainer and I think I will be confident enough to go on my own.

From experience, take care of them now, as it gets harder when you are older (I am 48). I wish I had paid more attention to my knees when I was younger! :(
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your shoes fit properly? I definitely recommend getting fitted for proper shoes. If you do feel like strengthening them, I have vibrams that I alternate with my running shoes and they really have helped with my lower calf region and around my knees to build the muscles there that aren't used a lot.

Good luck!
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    How old are the shoes you're using? And are they actually walking shoe/running shoes?

The shoes are less than 1 month old. They are Nike Lunarfly shoes.
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!

You really are a wonderful bunch. I will definitely heed your advice.

Hugs :flowerforyou:
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You may want to check into possible supplements, I have heard good things about Hyaluronic Acid and Astaxanthin.