Your first 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    @suzycreamcheese - I have my eye on a half marathon on Thanksgiving. I need to look at some training plans to see if it is feasible for me.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Ok -- I've seen a bunch of posts lately about people hesitant to sign up for their first 5k
    You will absolutely, LOVE IT! ...
    There are ALL sizes, ALL ages, walking, running, every fitness level, slow, fast, EVERY kind of person you can imagine, will be there.

@liscar - HEARTY THANKS :flowerforyou: . The timing of your post was great - got my check for freelance work in the mail that same day - just in time to sign up on-line for my first race ever, which I just ran today!

To anyone hesitating, there is no reason to 'wait' until you have improved your time to certain a benchmark, etc.
    I was totally hesitant to do a race and was waiting to be able to consistently break the 10 min mile mark. But nerves, freezing temperatures and collective crowd energy propelled me forward to run the fastest I have since I was teenager! Not empirically fast, but very fast FOR ME...!

Side note ~ :laugh: I experienced the classic first-timer pacing issue - by the last mile I had slowed down a bit and all the hardcore ladies my mother's age were leaving me in their wake - very inspirational! I want to be running races when I'm in my seventies too!! :laugh:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone there's a great app called Runner's World Smartcoach that can take up to 16 weeks to prepare you for whatever distance you want to go! I'm using it right now to prepare for my first 10k and it's amazing! I am using the 16 week plan, even though I could already run 3 miles when I started and I'm glad I gave myself the time. There are gradual increases in distance and speed and then a little tapering before the actual race. They have plans for anything from a 5k to a marathon! Good luck!