Late night workout / eat or no?

Options
gp79
gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
My daily calorie consumption for a 1.5lb weight loss per week is 2170 calories. This evening, I did a 9 mile run with a heart rate monitor and logged 2100 calories burned. It was 9:30pm when I finished and I was 1600 calories under for the day.

So, should I eat those calories or not?

I did eat so that I'm now 500 less than MFP goal for the day, given the exercise. Hopefully I didn't just do more harm than good.

Replies

• suziehomemaker
    Options
    nah i usually workout late as well (kids are in bed and now have the time) and i try to eat at least half of them but if you know your gonna do some intense cardio log it in earlier in the day and then you can eat the cals a little more spread out....and the good thing is that you HAVE to do the workout because youve already consumed most of the cals....i find it works for me...:wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no magic cut off time to quit eating, if you are hungry you should have a bite. what is important is to try NOT to eat within 2 hours before bed, not because you'll gain weight, it's a digestion issue. A great after workout quickie is an 8 oz glass of low fat chocolate milk. It will provide you with all you could need for muscle recovery, it's about 180 calories and it will keep you from feeling hungry :wink:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Wait a minute? 2100 calories for a 9 mile run? How did that happen? When I run on the treadmill at an incline of 6 at 4.5 mph hour I burn about 141 calories per mile. I burn less if I run at a lower incline, even when I go up to 5.5 mph. And that's all with my HRM calories.

2100 calories for 9 miles is over 233 calories per mile! How did you do that? What incline/speed were you on?
  • gp79
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that I'm 6'3" 248 lbs. Speed was about 5 mph as to keep my heart rate in zone 1 and 2 using a Polar FT60.
  • jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i burn a little over 100 calories for 8 minutes that I run. 3 miles, 35 minutes is about 450 calories for me. Everyone is different :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that I'm 6'3" 248 lbs. Speed was about 5 mph as to keep my heart rate in zone 1 and 2 using a Polar FT60.

Right, tall and male, two things I could never aspire to be. lol Gotta pay attention to profile info better in the future :)
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I'm 6'1 and 248. My calorie goal for 2 lbs per week is 1710. Dang.
  • gp79
    Options
    My goal is 1.5 lb loss per week. I just checked what my calories would be for a 2 lb weight loss and MFP would allow me 1910.

I enjoy eating too much to go too low for the time being.

Once I meet my next goal i'm not looking forward to having a reduced caloric intake for the day. It will be tough.
  • jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    But burning 2100 calories will help with that!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    im 5'9" and 216lbs. my calorie goal for 1lb per week is 1900.

i will normally burn about 320 calories on a 1.8mile run. that is on the road with no hills, not a treadmill

at the moment i run at an average of 5.6mph
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I often have to eat late, and as of yet it hasn't hindered my loss.

I take a hot yoga class most evenings, sometimes I can make the 4:30 class, but atleast a few nights a week it is the 6:30. So that means no eating 2-3 hours before class and gets me home around 8:30 or later. As I was taught to always feed the animals before myself, that means I can't even start making my dinner till after 9. Sigh.
  • gp79
    Options
    Haha, Yes, the animals that lurk at your feet and beg to be fed after being gone all day.

I'm traveling right now, so I went to the hotel pantry and bought 2 burritos, a couple of sports drinks and granola bars to avoid having a huge deficit for the day. I was hoping for some milk or something but no dice! fail Hilton.
  • gp79
    Options
    Jesseroyal, yes those big burns get me excited for "having" to eat extra to make up for it.