I want to RUN!

Options
Being Free Willys sister its hard to even consider running. But I find myself just WANTING and CRAVING to run. I want to run and not feel like I have a truck parked on my chest. My dream is to run a 5k. Just so I can say I did it. I want to feel that energy. I'm still starting out only been dieting over a month. Is it realistic for someone so big to really drop all this weight and feel skinny/pretty and HEALTHY? I always think there is no way I can even do this. Ugh, HELP!!

-Donna.

Replies

• prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You can drop that weight and meet your goal of being able to run that 5k. But, it will only happen if you want it, crave it... you know. Make sure you want it bad enough. And, start off slow.. with small expectations. If you start off with big expectations, you're sure to set yourself up for a failure.
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can drop that weight and meet your goal of being able to run that 5k. But, it will only happen if you want it, crave it... you know. Make sure you want it bad enough. And, start off slow.. with small expectations. If you start off with big expectations, you're sure to set yourself up for a failure.

Ditto. :) Check out the Couch25K program. :)
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. Start SLOW. Think quality distance over quantity. The couch to 5k program would be great!
  • Cori615
    Cori615 Posts: 100
    Options
    Same here I have always have that feeling that i want to be a runner. I just started the Couch to 5k program, you should try it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I started smaller than you, but horribly out of shape. I hadn't worked out at all since my Freshman year of high school and even when I did do sports, I always hated running. It was my least favorite thing to do and always tried to avoid it whenever possible and just did different kinds of warm-ups. I think it's because my parents put roller skates on me when I was 10 months old, so I never walked anywhere I could just skate when I was growing up. Running felt so unnatural to me.

Anyway, after that tangent. What I was saying was that when I first started working out, I couldn't really do much more than walk. i'd try to run and end up stopping after a crazy short amount of time. Over many months I slowly built up faster walking times at higher inclines on the treadmill as well as building up my endurance on the elliptical and stationary bike. Now I'm running a 5K in just over 30 minutes and am able to run 45 minutes without a single pause of any kind or walking at all and will be adding time to that overall time in my next few workouts cuz I feel like I could go closer to or right up to 60 minutes right now.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    Thanks for the reply:) Tonight I did the Gazelle Glider thing for 35 minutes and actually felt OKAY. I was sweating suuuper bad but I felt great, not really tired.
    Thanks for the support:)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Do it Run....start slow it will get better if you keep at it, just remember to get your calcium in for healthy bones and joints!:smile:
  • Beth_1217
    Options
    I highly recommend running. I was never much of a runner, but like you, I felt a strong urge to do it. Just start out slow and build up your endurance. As previously mentioned, the Couch to 5k program works for a lot of people.

I did my first 5K last summer and the feeling I got when I crossed the finish line was incredible. I'm signed up for 2 this spring and I'm sure I'll be doing more throughout the year. :) Have fun!
  • bfrice1
    Options
    Get your shoes on, go outside and run. Right now. You don't have to run fast, and you don't have to run for an hour. Run slowly for half a block. Then walk the rest of the way. Then run/walk again tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that.

Act first, motivation will follow.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If this is what you want, you have to act now.

Buy a good pair of running shoes and get moving! Best of luck
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    theres a running group called "the penguins" ...they are awesome at getting started, i was a member online then i found a local group...the run for the fun of it...the joy of movement...and my favorite thing is day one of training is REST

they are great ..google them
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you for replying:)
    I plan on running every weekened:)