Might have to give up...can you lose weight without exercisi

Options
I have an artificial knee and femur, and have had lots of surgeries, fixes, etc. Exercise it tricky but I've been SO HAPPY that riding the stationary bike and walking seemed to be doing the trick for my weight loss. Well, yesterday out of nowhere it buckled up on me, I have trouble bending it, all swollen, etc. So back to no exercising for me until we can figure this out. :(

I'm so frustrated I want to tear my hair out! I've done so great for 50 days now, and this is a huge set back. It was so hard to eat only 1200 calories today with no exercise...and when i'm in pain or upset I want to comfort eat....I'm really just ready to give up. :(

What do you think? Is it possible to continue losing weight with NO exercise? I'm talking sitting on my butt icing my leg all day no exercise.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can, your calorie goal on here already allows for a loss from the calories needed to maintain your current weight, based on your profile settings of 1/2 lb to 2 lbs a week. If you eat your balanced diet and meet your calorie goals you can certainly lose weight without exercise.

Exercise is good, it'll build your endurance and overall fitness, but you can lose weight without it.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm wondering if there are some exercises out there that you can do sitting down?? I've heard of it before and it might be worth researching. There should be something out there to help you get through this time while you wait to heal again. I'll look around too and see if I can find anything. Hang in there, we'll figure this out!! huggss
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Swimming maybe? that is the only thing I could suggest...good luck and dont give up!
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It is very possible to lose weight without exercising. Before I found this website I lost 60 pounds in a year just by watching what I ate. It might be a slower process but you can do it.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can lose without the exercise, but if there's any way to keep exercise in your routine, it sure does help. It's also beneficial for many more reasons than just to lose weight. Ask your doctor about swimming and other activities you can do in the water, those would be low impact and a great workout. Good luck, we're all here to support you, you can do this!
  • sweetnshy
    Options
    what about doing exercises designed to do in the office? Those would at least be something, and help keep the rest of your body on the right track..
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You CAN lose weight without exercise, and people do it all the time.

But I think you can also do some exercises without using your legs. I think if you google it you should find something you like. I know someone with bad hip issues that does boxing type moves while sitting down and holding 1 pound weights. She's lost weight this way and was able to eat more than 1200 because she burned calories from her seated position. Swimming also sounds like a great idea!
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cheer up beautiful! 70 to 80 percent to a total weight loss program is diet. Stay positive and keep logging your meals. When you recover from your soreness you can get right back the bike.

17lbs is a fantastic accomplishment! Your doing a great job! Keep it up girl! Owoooooo!!!
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well, here's one site I found with some exercises you could try: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

I also read that pilates is good for chair bound people because it was developed for war wounded soldiers for their rehab. So, I hope that helps some!
  • yogaangel
    Options
    If you are up to it, what about placing some small weights by your chair? You could focus on upper body strengthening while rehabilitating your leg. Just make sure that you sit up straight and have good posture - you certainly don't want to injure your back! :) There are also many yoga poses that you can do in a chair. Remember stretching is a big part of fitness and health, so you could work on those poses while you are recovering. Pilates is another option if you can get down on the floor. If you can lay on a yoga mat, you can do several exercises that don't require you to use your legs.

Hang in there! I know how that feels. I am recovering from my third foot injury in six months. I had to shift my workout routine multiple times to accommodate for the injuries and for the healing.

Good luck!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    According to a (well known) book I've read - losing weight is 80% diet, and only 20% exercise. :smile:
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    As a result of a back injury, I'm kind of limited to low impact exercise, or was until I dropped some weight and built up some supportive muscle. My wife and I purchased Danskin exercise balls, and followed their routine, starting out with the lower impact workout and then added to it. We did great on it, built up core muscles, and have been able to add in higher impact exercises. Once your pain is down some, this may be something you can do without over straining the area again. Hope it helps out.
  • kjsmith567
    Options
    I am not going to repeat what everyone has already said so I will say, YOU CAN DO THIS! Don't give up!
  • kjsmith567
    Options
    I am not going to repeat what everyone has already said so I will say, YOU CAN DO THIS! Don't give up!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much everyone for all the support! Those are some great suggestions, I will look into chair type exercises...
    Now I just need to avoid the emotional eating...
  • gracemtn
    gracemtn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Swim. And Smile. Setbacks suck I am sorry you have to go through that. I blew out my knee and was on crutches for months. Couldn't walk but I could swim like the fishes. Hope you heal quickly!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, here's one site I found with some exercises you could try: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

I also read that pilates is good for chair bound people because it was developed for war wounded soldiers for their rehab. So, I hope that helps some!
    Thank you for the link! :)
  • ShellzLo
    Options
    Purplegal.... I won't repeat what everyone has said, however I just wanted to testify to the fact that yes you can loose weight just by being concious of what you eat and NO exercise... I choice today healthier choices as oppse to what I use to do. I would eat everything I wanted just b/c I exercised which didn't make sense to me but I still did it. Well me myself I don't exercise these days because I had a back injury (car accident) and my knees hurt alot when doing the exercising. But I will walk at times even though that also hurts my knees at times... So yes staying with in calories you will be fine. Please don't give up. Hang in there and if you just have to eat emotionally choose a rice cake. They have all kinds of flavors now. Or fat free popcorn, or pretzels.... (more heatlier snacks) Just what ever you do hang in there PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!!!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    You've got to read this - Nutritioin Professor Mark Haub went on a TWINKIE diet! Seriously, he ate twinkies 3x per day and still lost weight!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

It's not exercise that makes you lose, it's cal counting....that is ALL that really matters. Count your cals and the weight loss will come.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80/20...diet/exercise. I lost all my weight (so far) with diet alone. :flowerforyou: