Am I the only one who does this?

Options
When I can't sleep at night I search for people that have their food diaries public to see how other people are eating compared to me. Am I the only one who does this? It kinda gives me a boost of self-esteem because I come across a lot of people that don't really seem to care what they eat. Now everyone is going to go change their diaries to "private". No, really....I don't do it to criticize anyone, I am just curious. I would never comment or judge anyone for their food choices. If they have their diaries public I guess there is no harm done, right? :wink:

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I often look at people's public diaries...and then I thank God that I am one of the ones that actually gets hungry because I don't see how some people operate on just 700 calories per day, especially when they are fattening calories from fast food places. Not that my diary is perfect or anything, but I do like to browse.
  • katherinabui
    Options
    I think that it would be fun to do. I just started using this so I don't really know how to use this yet. Would you show me some of the cool stuff on this site. I mainly use this on my phone.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    haha...now I want to make my diary private lol.
  • maeghanalyson
    Options
    I do this too. It's interesting. I made mine public because I want the criticism. I want others to tell me what they think about how I eat because I want to be able to eat heathier.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i browse all the time, i figure if someone made their diary public, they mean for others to be able to look whenever. and i know what you mean, there are a lot of different types of diaries out there. some amke me smile cause they are similar to mine, some make me groan cause they are full of fast food i could be eating :P and some make me wince when i see so little food and so few calories.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I occasionally look, and I enjoy having mine public.
  • CallejaFairey
    Options
    *peaks around at everyones diaries*
    Lyadeia, what is a ricotta crunch? lol, it sounds interesting, i love ricotta, but have no clue how it could be crunchy!
  • kjsmith567
    Options
    I have only tried it when people asked me for pointers. I like to the great lunch ideas and sometimes I am impressed with how detailed people are when they add foods.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    When I can't sleep at night I search for people that have their food diaries public to see how other people are eating compared to me. Am I the only one who does this? It kinda gives me a boost of self-esteem because I come across a lot of people that don't really seem to care what they eat. Now everyone is going to go change their diaries to "private". No, really....I don't do it to criticize anyone, I am just curious. I would never comment or judge anyone for their food choices. If they have their diaries public I guess there is no harm done, right? :wink:
    Well there might be other people just like you who now want to look at your diary....so I am wondering why yours would be set to private?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Lyadeia, what is a ricotta crunch? lol, it sounds interesting, i love ricotta, but have no clue how it could be crunchy!

It's a recipe that I took from ChaLEAN Extreme which is one of my favorite workout programs. I think my adaptation is a little different than the book, but I take 1 cup of fat free ricotta cheese and mix it with half a cup of blueberries and half a cup of strawberries. They I stir in some cinnamon and drop some thin almond slices on top. The almonds make it "crunch." The whole thing is just really tasty. :bigsmile:
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I haven't thought to look at anyone else's. As for mine, it's enough for me to admit to myself that I ate those Skittles. No one else needs to know :o)
  • Juniper88
    Options
    I am notorious for looking at other people's food and exercise diaries! I do it for so many reasons - to compare with what I eat; for different food ideas; to see how many people go over their calories and by how much on average; for reassurance that I am not the only one having food ups and downs; to see what people are doing to burn their calories and how many calories are being left unconsumed.

But, I also do it out of pure nosiness. I like to see what and how others are doing.

Currently mine is only open to view by my MFP friends (at least that's what I think) BUT, now I'm thinking that I might make it public to everyone. Maybe this will help me be more diligent (knowing that everyone can see what I am stuffing my gut with) and, like was previously stated, maybe I will get some "helpful" and "constructive" feed-back from others.
  • catesalim
    Options
    I look occasionally at friends diaries, but mainly to see how they're doing.... today, a friend had a rough food day, so I checked in with her to see how she's doing emotionally, and if she needs some support. I've also gotten some good meal and snack ideas from others. I don't ever do it to criticize or to feel superior. We've all made crummy choices in our lives, and I feel with my friends, we're here to support and help each other.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I hope you all look at more than one day. Yesterday I wasn't very good with food at all, and some days I'm great. Mine is only open to friends, but I'd like more friends! :happy:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Well there might be other people just like you who now want to look at your diary....so I am wondering why yours would be set to private?

I thought mine was public! I'm gonna go change it now!! Seriously, I thought it was public. I must have accidentally put it to "friends only".
  • CallejaFairey
    Options

It's a recipe that I took from ChaLEAN Extreme which is one of my favorite workout programs. I think my adaptation is a little different than the book, but I take 1 cup of fat free ricotta cheese and mix it with half a cup of blueberries and half a cup of strawberries. They I stir in some cinnamon and drop some thin almond slices on top. The almonds make it "crunch." The whole thing is just really tasty. :bigsmile:

that sounds wonderful! i already do something similar with goats milk yogourt, but ricotta would be really yummy.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    ahcoble and littlelionesslove -

you are both WAY WAY UNDER calories. Do you not know how bad that is?

ahcoble you need to almost double your intake.
    And littlelionesslove, you need to TRIPLE it. How on earth can you eat 300 calories and burn off 1000 and not eat more?

you are ending the day at NEGATIVE 500+ net calories.

Please please please for your health PLEASE read some of the threads about underfeeding and starvation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

Educate yourselves! Please! I'm not trying to be mean but am genuinely concerned for your well being.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I like looking at other peoples diaries, just to compare my own :smile:

Some peoples diaries truely amaze me!! Ok, I still go to McDonalds on occasions, and I have my weekly chinese take out on a Friday night, but some people are eating fast food on a daily basis!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ooh. I'd never thought of doing this!!! I made my diary public when i needed help and I think I should be accountable to more than just myself - otherwise what's the point in logging really?

But I am going to start snooping to see what exciting things others eat. Now, if only I could access everyones recipes too.......

:)
  • mldoty
    Options
    I look at them as well, more for the ideas of what other people are eating it seems like when your trying to eat healthy you feel like you dont have very many options so I look at others to get ideas