How accurate

Options
Hi All.

Hubby just bought me a cross trainer. I've been using my sisters once a week and logging it as Elliptical trainer for 15 minutes and it says cals burned 193...so i log that. I've just done 15 minutes on mine (and am shattered and sweating buckets lol) and the on board computer says 73 calories burnt. I've logged what the computer says but was wondering how accurate MFP is with exercise calories. Obviously people go faster than others and different tensions so is the computer more accurate.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Replies

• xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I always find mfp puts the calories higher than i have actually burnt, i use a heart rate monitor now to be sure of the amount im burning.
  • spackled1
    Options
    Really, the most accurate thing to do is wear a heart rate monitor. I don't have one yet, but am planning to get something like a BodyBug.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think some of the exercises are over-estimated. My machine always say less than MFP but it does depend on weight etc. Will your trainer let you put individual details in, like age etc.
    I dont know if MFP have put them all in or if some have been added by members.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are not using a HRM I would go with the lowest cals burned to ensure you are not over estimating calories burned.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just use what the gym machines say. Anything else burned is an extra bonus!
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike at home. the one that has handles that move too, not sure what this machine is called! LOL I put in my weight and after 45 minutes the machine says I burned over 1000 calories. I dont believe it, so I go with MFP stationary bike calories!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Purchase a heart rate monitor with a chest strap if you are able to. That would take all the guessing out of it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor that tells me exactly how many calories I burned--its the best tool.