• tamrajd
    tamrajd Posts: 86
    Options
    please help. i need a recipe and calorie info on sweet potaoe fries
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I just cut up a sweet potato,

spray with pam (liberally) salt to taste (or cajun seasoning) and bake at 425 for 15 minutes,

flip over or stir, spray with more pam bake for 15 more minutes or until lightly browned.

I just count the nutrition in a raw sweet potato + the pam (which is oil, just very little)
  • cwilson715
    cwilson715 Posts: 130
    Options
    I havent done this and I am not sure of the times

I heard to boil them 1st and then bake them.
  • tamrajd
    tamrajd Posts: 86
    Options
    thanks i'll try them tonite for dinner:smile:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options

No need to boil, just bake, they are very yummy. Prefer to spray with olive oil, then a little seasalt.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Chop into fries, toss with a little olive oil, garlic powder, paprika & pepper. Bake @ 400 for 12 mins, turn over & bake 12 more mins. Enter the ingredients separately and save as a meal for next time :drinker:

We had yam fries 2 nights ago. SOOOO good!!
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    we use the alfa one rice bran oil which is so much better for you. im not sure if you get it over there but here its like the holy grail of oil.

im a lover of sweet potato i use it for myself as my alternative to potatoes as im not a great fan of potatoes although if we have a roast i have both lol.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I can't get mine crispy...can u? lol I LOVE sweet potato and butternut squash fries with sugar free maple syrup, but I wish I could get them more crispy like baked regular fries! :)
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I've never gotten them crispy either... only the edges when I roast them... I don't think they will crisp up like a white potato will, they have less starch in them.

ETA: Oh, I thought I'd add my little "recipe" here, just something I whip up when in the mood for SP's.

WARNING: This is a "savory" recipe, not the typical sticky sweet recipe for SP's!

I peel a medium SP, cut it up into bite size chunks (like American/Home fries), put them on a baking sheet, drizzle w/ a little olive oil, coarse sea salt, fresh ground peppercorn medley, a little garlic powder, toss em around to coat.
    I coarsley chop up some FRESH rosemary leaves and sprinkle them just on the top of the taters, don't toss em yet or the rosemary will just burn.
    Roast em for about 15 mins @ 400-425, toss em around after about 10 minutes. Then I turn on the broiler till the tops get a little more "crispy."

YUM!!!!

Fresh rosemary and SP are heavenly together!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    If you want them more crispy you need to put them in cold water. I am not sure on the legnth of time but I do know that is supposed to help make them crispy.

Thanks for the idea on snacks lol.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I agree. I can get mine crispy. First, I cut them and then place in ice water for 2 hours (adding more ice if needed). I find it is important to bake them as close to the element as possible in my (electric) oven or toaster oven.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you want them crispy, an easy way to do it:
    http://video.about.com/lowfatcooking/Sweet-Potato-Fries.--6F.htm

Sweet Potato Fries Ingredients
    For this recipe, you will need:
    2 or 3 sweet potatoes
    2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili
    1/2 teaspoon garlic
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
    First preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes. Do this especially well if you want to keep the skin on for the fries. Today I'm going to peel the potatoes. Use 2 or 3 sweet potatoes to make the fries. Look for potatoes that are smooth, plump, dry, and clean of cuts and dents.

Cut the Sweet Potatoes Into Strips
    Using a stainless steel knife, cut the potatoes in half and then into strips. For thinner fries, cut those strips in half again. Keep cutting so they are as thin as you like. Put your strips into a plastic bag for later.

Season the Sweet Potato Fries
    Whisk 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup of egg substitute. This will help give your fries a crispy taste. This will also help our seasonings stick to our fries. For seasoning, you could just mix in some salt and maybe a little paprika, or you can flavor them with some spices.

Today I'm going to make a spicy Mexican-flavored mix using half a teaspoon each of cumin, chili, garlic, and onion powder. Whisk your egg mixture again and pour it into your bag. Shake the fries all around the bag so they are coated evenly.

Prepare to Bake the Fries
    I like to line the pans with parchment paper for easy clean up. Coat your pans with non-stick cooking spray. Pour your fries on the pan, and try to spread out a single layer on each pan. When the fries are more crowded, they are not as crispy.

Bake the Sweet Potato Fries
    Put them in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes. Pull out the pans and flip over the fries. If you can't flip them, just move them around a bit to make sure they are cooking on all sides. Put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Take out the pans, remove the fries, and serve while they are nice and hot!

Serve and Enjoy the Sweet Potato Fries
    You can dip them in ketchup, guacamole, mayonnaise, or whatever your family enjoys. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    to get them crispy you have to dip them in egg and either flour, potato flour or corn flake mix (like fried chicken etc).

I like mine cut like fries and roasted or grilled and taziki sauce for dipping, very very good!
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sweet potatoe fries, but they sound yummy! I'll have to give them a try.

25627.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

10539.jpg
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I made em again today for lunch.... had a veggie lunch... SP & carrots.... Holy crap that's alot of Vit A!!!

I think I may turn orange soon...

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Guess I'll tell ppl it's NOT a bad bronzing job... :smokin:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Tis the season!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    mmmmm.. thanks to all of you for sharing your recipes.. i'm so hungry for fries! :)
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

No need to boil, just bake, they are very yummy. Prefer to spray with olive oil, then a little seasalt.

Aye yup! Very simple and easy to make, yum! We luv sweet potato fries! And really easy to make. Just go online to Food Network for a bunch of recipes...
  • Kaybay37
    Options
    Oo-oo-oo, yum! I'm heading to the store right now to get some SPs!!!! And fresh rosemary!