Real Lemons vs Bottled Lemon Juice

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    jlrhawk wrote: »
    I've been reading all kinds of articles that promote lemon juice for a variety of health benefits including weight loss and digestion. I've been squirting a few teaspoons of bottled lemon juice into my water in the morning. Will this have the same benefits as squeezing juice from a lemon? I realize that the natural juice from a lemon is probably all around better but for someone who needs a quick solution and has a hard time keeping fruit fresh I'm really hoping I can get the same benefits from the bottled juice. Thanks :happy:

There's no benefit either way...at least where weight loss is concerned...just a bunch of woo. If you enjoy lemon in your water then awesome...but it's basically just going to add a nice flavor...I take lemon in my water all the time and have since I was a kid...I still got fat...there's no magic.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The stuff in bottles is just pasteurised. Pasteurisation is a process of heating, holding and cooling the juice to destroy the bacteria and make the juice safe to drink. It shouldn't affect the flavour or calorific value of the juice. The only thing that I can think of is partial loss of vitamin C during pasteurisation. Bearing in mind that lemons contain approximately the same amount as oranges you'd need just over two lemons to meet your recommended intake anyway.
    I won't be drinking a cup of lemon juice any time soon, but I do use a splash of pasteurised lime or lemon juice in a vodka & soda for flavour. In the quantities you're having, it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference :-)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Old thread is old.
  • twahlhowe
    twahlhowe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No, lemon juice does not affect the final body acidity/alkalinity.

The bottom line is this..."In truth, your body almost always does an excellent job at keeping your pH levels balanced. Unfortunately, you hold the key in determining how hard your body must work to achieve this." This is quoted from https://draxe.com/ph-balance/. This article does a really great job of explaining in plain English how what you eat/drink can affect how hard your cleansing organs (liver, kidneys especially) have to work. It also has many links that take you directly to the research that supports the statements in the article.

Our bodies regulate our pH balance very carefully and successfully. The blood pH range for a healthy body is quite small; 7.35 - 7.45. If you eat far too much acidic food OR far too much alkaline food, organs (especially the kidneys) have to work harder to maintain blood pH levels. Urine pH levels are a reflection of what your body is working to eliminate to keep you healthy. When our bodies are working too hard to stay in balance, some of the other vital, healthy things that it could be doing are put on the back burner. The best we can do is keep our intake from being wildly acidic or alkaline. Either way, this is not healthy and only overloads our cleansing organs.

So, really, we are right back to where we usually go - eat and drink healthy, lightly processed foods across the spectrum of meat, dairy, fruits/nuts and vegetables to allow your body to take care of itself most effectively.

Check your info for accuracy and beware of sites that relay only info that agrees with their conclusions or promotes the product they sell. Don't rely on second hand knowledge - go straight to medical reports and journals, where the researchers detail their findings for their colleagues in the medical profession. Lemon juice and many other foods/drinks we take in have little effect on our levels of body/blood alkalinity.

Leech, Joe. "Benefits of drinking lemon water." Medical News Today. MediLexicon, Intl., 1 Aug. 2017. Web.
    18 Mar. 2019. <https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318662.php&gt;

The following article, mentioned by others, does a very good job of explaining the effect of alkaline v. acidic foods on our bodies. The real effect? Little or none. I have found both healthline and Dr. Axe to be reliable sources for accurate information, with many references to medical studies that you can check for yourself.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lemon-juice-acidic-or-alkaline#section4

This article also links to a medical journal report that explains (in medicalese) how the kidneys especially help to regulate healthy body pH.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23551968

This is just a start. Check your own facts and do good stuff for your body...live long and prosper!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Old thread is old.

Even older now :)