5'11" and would like some advice from other tall ladies

Options
I am pretty tall (5'11") and my current weight is 244 pounds. I would like to get to around 175 but I am thinking should I go for more. Back when I got married in 1999 I weighed 175 and felt great and when I look back at those pictures I can truly see an in shape thin person. I know that I have told some of my good friends how much I weigh and they can't believe it because I guess if you are tall you can carry it better, if that is even possible. Then when I say I want to lose 70 pounds people think I am crazy.

I guess I am just interested to see other women who are tall like I am and what you currently weigh and if you have a picture that would be great too.

Thanks. I just want to make sure my goal isn't extreme, although I think it is more than attainable for myself and that is really all that should matter.

Replies

• bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I get similar reactions. I am 5'11 too but I have about 80 lbs to lose. When I was a kid I hated being tall... but not its not so bad! Add me as a friend if you like.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and i weigh 155lbs my goal is 145.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go much below 170'ish. I'm a little shorter than you (only 5'9") and my goal weight is 150-155. When I was in my early 20s and weighed 155, I was a size 6. Isn't height great!!!
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Holla to tall ladies! :drinker:

I am 5'10" so I can totally relate. When I lost weight about a year ago, I got down to about 170 and looked good. Unfortunately, I am big boned with long legs and a shorter torso, so I still was not totally in the size I wanted, although I was on the cusp of fitting into it. My goal at that time was to lose another 20 pounds, which probably would have put me well past that size to the next lower one.

I think if you hit 175 and feel good, look like you want to and are content, then settle for that. If you think you want to continue to lose then go for it! You can always lose more and have that buffer knowing that if you get back up to 175, you are still content.
  • michelle277
    Options
    Good for you for setting high goals. I'm 6'0 tall and started my weight loss at 244 (which is my highest weight ever). I'm down to 223 now and my goal is 180. People always say the same to me, that I don't look that heavy...but nonetheless, I still want to take it off. Good luck on your journey. :)
  • blakjac6
    Options
    I'm 5'9, currently 137lbs, going for 125lb
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 1/4 & currently weigh 164.8 lbs!!! I started out on MFP at my highest weight ever of 204.8. Now, I feel GREAT at this weight, but still want to tone up some more and lose just 5-10 more lbs. I am very athletic & muscley which is why my goal weight isn't as low as some ladies... I think that 175 is a great goal for your height & you can always readjust your goal weight later when you're getting closer to it :happy:
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and i get the same reaction, they can't believe i weight that much... my goal weight is 170 at that size i am an 8-10 and feel good.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am pretty tall (5'11") and my current weight is 244 pounds. I would like to get to around 175 but I am thinking should I go for more. Back when I got married in 1999 I weighed 175 and felt great and when I look back at those pictures I can truly see an in shape thin person. I know that I have told some of my good friends how much I weigh and they can't believe it because I guess if you are tall you can carry it better, if that is even possible. Then when I say I want to lose 70 pounds people think I am crazy.

I guess I am just interested to see other women who are tall like I am and what you currently weigh and if you have a picture that would be great too.

Thanks. I just want to make sure my goal isn't extreme, although I think it is more than attainable for myself and that is really all that should matter.

I am 5'9 and weigh 175lbs. Yes some people do "carry it better than others" because any time somebody "guesses" my weight they say 150ish......... My ultimate goal isnt even 150!!! Little steps at a time! Good luck!
  • maipai21
    maipai21 Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I started at 237. I think my goal will be between 165 and 170, I still want to have some curves!
  • texteach
    Options
    Hey Girly! I'm 5'10" and I currently weight 167. My goal weight is 135. I get the same response.....OMG! You'd be a STICK. However, I disagree! I think I carry my weight pretty evenly....and nobody ever believes I weigh as much as I say. I guess I'm pretty thick....and muscular (Muscle weighs more than fat?).....but anyway, I think your goal sounds totally reasonable! Right where it should be! Keep up the hard work! I know it's tough, but WE CAN DO IT! :) Happy Day!
    E
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    No no no. I am 5'10 and aiming for 175. I started off at 253. So for me I am looking at losing around 80lbs at least! So don't think your goal is extreme. When I tell people how much I weigh or use to weight, they can't believe it because the way my body is...it is evenly distributed. Which I guess is a blessing. When I was 166-175..I thought I looked great! I was in the best shape of my life. Now I will say that I was an athlete at the time, so I am sure a lot of that weight was muscle because if I remember correctly my body fat percentage was like 20% ok ridiculous, I know....so even though I would like to shoot for 165 ultimately I would be happy with 175.

It just depends on how your body feels and how your weight is distributed through your body. I would look at body fat percentage vs. actual weight...because that says more than a number on a scale. It is going to depend on how YOU feel at a certain weight. But you know it is hard for us tall girls to figure out an optimal weight for us since there is a "healthy" weight range for each height. Let your body tell you what is best...but your goal is attainable. You can do it girl!
  • Maurey
    Maurey Posts: 44
    Options
    i am 5'10 my highest weight was 205 lbs, when i started on MFP i was at 190, my goal weight is 160.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, currently 137lbs, going for 125lb

Your lowest weight should be 130. I too am 5'9 and the weight range for a female at 5'9 is 130 - 160
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im 5 ft 9. started my weight loss at 327 and no one believed I was 327. they all told me I carried it well. Seeing pictures of myself I can tell you I dont think I did. I am working on a goal of 180 myself. Now this website says I should be between 125 and 147 but I have a feeling that with my bone structure I would look sickly. So I am focusing on 180 and will see how I look/feel at that point. if I need to lose more I will but one thing at a time :)
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am clinging to 5"11 and i currently weigh 177lbs, my goal weight is 165 purely because in the last year i have lost 22lbs and don't seem to have gone down a dress size at all which is my main motivation. I dont know if i'm worried about trying clothes on which don't fit or what but im still in the same jeans i've always worn. Boo!
    I also want to be in the middle of a healthy BMI for my weight, at my current weight by BMI is 24.7 and i would like it to be lower.
    Besides, i'm still a bit squidgy! haha!

Any tall ladies are welcome to add me, i find it difficult sometimes to relate to some people who's start weight is like 15lbs less than my goal weight.Makes me feel huge!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yup, same boat: 6'1" with 70lbs to loose... I hated being tall as a kid, but learned to love it as an adult b/c it allowed me to carry the extra weight better (can you imagine being 5'5" or shorter and at your current weight would look like?!).

Anyway, shopping is still hard for me. I hate not finding anything long enough and when I do, my thighs/butt don't fit! I can't change my height, but I can fix my weight.

You all can add me as a friend if you'd like - us tall gals need to stick together! :bigsmile:
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and started at 236. My plan is 170. I'm bigger built (like my father) and I think that If I was any less than 160/150. I might look sickly! I think for some taller women 170 is like 140 or 130 for shorter women. :) good luck with your goals!!!
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm 5'11 also and weigh 166 right now. Our "healthy weight range" is 135-175 (so they say). I'm well within that range but am more comfortable at 150-155. I do get comments on how I look more like an "After" picture rather than a "Before". But it's all in how you feel. My lightest weight was 137 and that was borderline anorexic in my eyes.

I'd like to add a picture to this...but don't know how! (Believe me, I just tried.) But I'm a Size 8 to 10 Tall in pants if that helps at all. LOL!
  • lexis0911
    Options
    *waves* I am 5'11 and currently weigh 248... I too am looking to lose about 80lbs which would put me in the 170 range. When I tell people how much I weigh they are shocked...I carry it very well, but hate the way I look and feel. I don't remember what 170 looks and feels like, so I am not sure how to respond to the original poster....it's what I am shooting for though!!

Feel free to add me as a friend!