An easy way to use less salad dressing

Options
I've been eating a lot of salads lately, and I have found an easy way to cut the amount of dressing that I use. I will prepare my salad in a container that has a lid, put about a tablespoon of dressing in there, place the lid and shake, shake, shake. It always evenly distributes the dressing so each piece of lettuce has some on it, which eliminates the need to pour a ton of dressing on the top. I would recommend that if you put cheese onto your salad to add that after you've shaken it up, because I've noticed that when I do put cheese and shake it, all the cheese will clump together. :)

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    This is what I do! It works!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I used to do that at college! We had one vegan dorm and they had the BEST salads in their dining hall. They had lids there available just for that purpose...it's so smart and you use SO much less! Great tip!
  • msnodgrass81
    Options
    i always measure it and put in a dish on the side. Then i dip my fork into that dish. This way works because it's measured and controled.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tend to use the 'dip my fork' method. It's amazing how little it takes to taste good!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to do that at college! We had one vegan dorm and they had the BEST salads in their dining hall. They had lids there available just for that purpose...it's so smart and you use SO much less! Great tip!

vegan dorm WHAT??? where did you go to college!!? interesting!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I am also a fan of coating my salad with 2tbs of dressing by tossing it in a lidded container. It's amazing how far 2tbs goes when I do this.

Charmagne
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I am also a fan of coating my salad with 2tbs of dressing by tossing it in a lidded container. It's amazing how far 2tbs goes when I do this.

Charmagne

This is how I love it the most! It makes it so much easier and yummy too.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    That's one of my favorite parts of eating a salad at work!
  • shimacrema
    Options
    great ideas. I always measure but now I will do the shaking to evenly distribute.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    McDonalds had it right...Remember their Salad Shakers...What ever happened to those???
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I saw Rene Redzepi of the Danish Noma restaurant dress a salad: he brushes every individual leaf with some vinaigrette by means of a little brush. A bit labor intensive perhaps.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Was it UCSC?
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

Was it UCSC?

oh to be a banana slug! :laugh: (i was a boring bear - different UC campus!! )
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    They make containers for this purpose, they look like big cups with a lid. The lid has a place to store the dressing until you are ready to eat the salad so everything doesn't get all soggy if you're taking it to work to eat later. When you're ready for lunch you just push a button on the top of the lid and then shake away. It's my new best friend for lunches :happy:

I can't remember where I got mine because its been over 5 yrs ago but I'm sure bed, bath and beyond or maybe pampered chef still carries somthing to that extent.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of salads lately, and I have found an easy way to cut the amount of dressing that I use. I will prepare my salad in a container that has a lid, put about a tablespoon of dressing in there, place the lid and shake, shake, shake. It always evenly distributes the dressing so each piece of lettuce has some on it, which eliminates the need to pour a ton of dressing on the top. I would recommend that if you put cheese onto your salad to add that after you've shaken it up, because I've noticed that when I do put cheese and shake it, all the cheese will clump together. :)

I do this as well. :smile:

Also works when trying to use less pasta sauce!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I was on a salad for lunch everyday kick for a while and what I found was the best was to load the salad with veggies, hard boiled egg, and leave off the dressing entirely. I found them to be quite good as I could actually taste all the goodies i put on the salad.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I buy the Wishbone Spritzers salad dressings. Each spray is only 1...yes ONE...calorie. I love the balsamic vinaigrette and I can cover a huge salad in 20 calories!
  • Olona
    Olona Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks cause I'm pretty good about eating a salad but I always mess up with the dressing
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I was on a salad for lunch everyday kick for a while and what I found was the best was to load the salad with veggies, hard boiled egg, and leave off the dressing entirely. I found them to be quite good as I could actually taste all the goodies i put on the salad.

I agree. If i use my chopper to cut up my egg, it makes the salad wet enough that i usually dont need the dressing!