Sugar Struggle HELP PLEASE

Options
I am really struggling. It seems like I always go over on sugar. Like today, it is only 10 am and I am already 4 over. They have my sugar intake as 32. I don't know what to do. All I have had this morning was old fashioned oatmeal (so not instant) and I added raisins to that. And now I just had a 1/2 cup of black seedless grapes. What should I do? Sugar seems to be in EVERYTHING!!!

Replies

• jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I eat a lot of fruits & vegetables... which have tons of sugar. I try to limit the sugar I have from other things (like cereal, protein bars, almond milk) but it's still way, way, way over.

God knows how much sugar I was taking in when I didn't care about what I ate!!

Is it okay if the sugar from things like fresh fruit are pushing me over my daily allowance?
  • annj1019
    annj1019 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had to be taking in SO much more sugar than I am now. But I don't know if it is really that good to go over even if it is from fruits and veggies. I think it is better because it is from natural stuff that is nutritious. But still I don't know. Kinda frustrating.
  • annj1019
    Options
    Who knows?
  • jaerene
    jaerene Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This topic has come up multiple times on this site. Many people (including myself) only count added sugar. Since dairy products have lactose (sugar) and fruit has fructose (sugar) if you have milk and fruit in your diet (both very healthy for you) you are going to go over. My suggestion is to subtract the sugars that are natural, and only count added sugars. I have been doing some reading on low glycemic diets, and the interesting thing is, even though milk has lactose, it is still low on the glycemic index, because the rate at which that particular sugar is converted to glucose in your blood is slow (i.e. no sugar spike). The same goes for fructose. I would encourage you to look into the glycemic index - I think it helps a lot with understanding sugar - the good and the bad. Hope that helps!
  • annj1019
    Options
    Thank you and yes it does help. Thank you