Not exercising EVERY day?

Options
Hi everyone, I just wanted to get some opinions on this topic. Maybe 2/7 (Wednesdays and Sundays) days a week I do not exercise due to university work. On these days I make special efforts to keep below my calorie intake as I know I will not have extra calories, which I try not to eat into on ordinary days anyway. Is this bad for me? Obviously I know the more exercise I do, the more I will lose, but will two days 'off' have a negative impact or just no impact? :huh:

Replies

• sharonuk10
    Options
    Simple answer is nope it won't. That is my opinion. Your body needs a break. As for me my body doesn't seem to lose weight unless I have rest days. So don't worry about having 2 rest days. I have 3 sometimes.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to get some opinions on this topic. Maybe 2/7 (Wednesdays and Sundays) days a week I do not exercise due to university work. On these days I make special efforts to keep below my calorie intake as I know I will not have extra calories, which I try to to eat into on ordinary days anyway. Is this bad for me? Obviously I know the more exercise I do, the more I will lose, but will two days 'off' have a negative impact or just no impact? :huh:

Quite the opposite. Days off are good for you. I have what I call a "Work Out Week" that doesn't always line up with weekday weeks. My best and most intense work out of the WorkOut Week most of the time...is the first. Meaning it's the day after a rest day.
  • Mamaheatherhg
    Options
    not at all, you have to give time for your body to rest anyways.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I take 2 days off a week myself. It is important to rest, and you will reach your goal if you follow MFP regardless if you workout or not, that is why it add exercise cals for you to eat on days you exercise. This makes sure you will lose the same amount of weight regardless of exercise.
  • agoessli
    agoessli Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nope just stay under your calorie goal for the day and you will still lose weight. Plus, your body needs some time to recover! Remember that weight loss is way more about what you eat than working out...so this is not going to hurt you. Just keep paying attention to your calories and make sure you are getting your calories from nutritious foods. Of course, I am no expert but this is what people tell me. :-) Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno says that 80% of weigh loss is due to diet, 10% is genetics and 10% is exercise...on my blog is some easy exercises to keep toned but other than that, just keep truckin' along and stay within your calorie budget and you'll be fine.
  • britt_fit
    Options
    I agree with sharonuk10. Taking time off can help your body recover and then help you be able to work out harder the other days because you're rested. Great work working out 5x/wk! Not a lot of people do that!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The daily calorie goals suggested by MFP are calculated based on the assumption that you will not be working out. On the days that you don't have time to exercise, just stay near your calorie goal and you should be fine! Good luck!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said - rest days are GOOD for you!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a break to repair muscle tissue and replenish your nutrient stores. One or two days off a week is GOOD!!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i have heard in the past (don't remember where lol) that if you don't have rest days, your muscles will have a hard time healing from all of the exercise. when we exercise, the pain we feel is tiny tears in our muscles. we need rest for them to heal so that we can build bigger and stronger muscles. hope this makes you feel less guilty!!

:flowerforyou: B
  • aschrader7
    Options
    It's healthy to have 1 or 2 rest days a week! Just as long as these rest days don't include Taco Bell or McDonalds, you should be fine! Muscles need time to heal and develop. Keep up the good work!
  • Simonscat
    Options
    You need rest days!
    Most people I know aim to exercise 3 times a week.

You're supposed to do some sort of exercise for 30mins each day to stay active though, like a brisk walk...
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is nope it won't. That is my opinion. Your body needs a break. As for me my body doesn't seem to lose weight unless I have rest days. So don't worry about having 2 rest days. I have 3 sometimes.

I think rest days help me lose weight too. Lets the chemicals in the muscles settle down. That SAID..I certainly FEEL better about my body when I exercise daily, I think from the fluid loss.

Do what you can, and I can definitely tell you STRESSING about this will not help you lose! :)
  • moonshine_bek
    Options
    It's healthy to have 1 or 2 rest days a week! Just as long as these rest days don't include Taco Bell or McDonalds, you should be fine! Muscles need time to heal and develop. Keep up the good work!

Sigh! Taco Bell, if only! I like in the UK, we don't have Taco Bell here, but I see some much about it and would love to try it! :laugh:
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Muscles need time to heal. That's what makes them bigger. You tear them during workout and the heal and become bigger. You need a rest day or two in there.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm agree with what everyone else said rest days are good for you I take plenty of them and still end up losing weight! LOL
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all that has been said! I run (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and do a Zumba (Tuesdays). I do nothing on Thursdays and Sundays, I just make sure I eat my calories and don't go over at on those days, not done so since starting this life journey! :flowerforyou:
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I agree that rest days are beneficial.

What I don't agree with is eating below your calories on your rest days. There is no need to eat below. Eat all of them that you are allowed as this allotment is set for you to lose weight without exercise. Don't deprive yourself of food/nutrition.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I heard a rumor that there is a Taco Bell in the UK..in Essex! I miss Taco Bell but I am not driving to Essex to get it!