30 day shred question!

Options
I was curious, when I log 30 day shred under circuit training it says that I burn 297 calories for 30 mins. Would you say thats about correct or is it less or more? Thanks!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    What MFP gives is an approximate based on your current weight. Unless you used an HRM it's going to be hard to know for sure because everyone is different. I've found that MFP numbers are lower than my actual burn based on my HRM so it's probably safe to use the MFP numbers if you want to make sure you don't go over and don't have an HRM. :)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I believe that it is only 18 minutes of actual circuit training (3 6 min circuits, right?). I don't bother logging the warm up or cool down (I know there's a few calories burned, but who needs to really see 3 cals of stretching (or whatever it is)?)
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I only calculate it at 20 minutes. That's about how long it is.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    What MFP gives is an approximate based on your current weight. Unless you used an HRM it's going to be hard to know for sure because everyone is different. I've found that MFP numbers are lower than my actual burn based on my HRM so it's probably safe to use the MFP numbers if you want to make sure you don't go over and don't have an HRM. :)

Just as a point of reference, I found that MFP was OVER-estimating how much I was burning - so it really does depend on the person and the most accurate you can get is to get a HRM (that's what I did!)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I only calculate it at 20 minutes. That's about how long it is.

And yes, if you put in 30 minutes you are probably overestimating since you would be counting warmup/cooldown - 20 minutes will be more accurate :)
  • lilpull
    Options
    My guess is it might be a little under that. I've logged mine under aerobics-- that shows up as less calories, but I suppose that doesn't take into account the strength training, yet there are moments of rest as she explains the moves. My thought is it is better to err on the side of counting it as less than it really is as opposed to more.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM I burn around 300 cals for level 1 and between 320 and 340 for levels 2 and 3. I'm 5ft 9.5 and 155lbs if that helps.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when I do it and I burn about 225 for the 20 minute circuit. As a reference, I'm 22, female, 5'7 and currently about 170. It's hard to know with this sight. Some people say it's way over, some people say it's way under (tends to give me a number that's too low).