Still hungry? Why

Options
So I have eaten for lunch and my stomach is still growling. lol For breakfast i ate a bowl of oatmeal with milk then for lunch i had 1 corn dog with mustard an a little ketchup with some BBQ chips (120 calories). Oh and for a morning snack i had a handful of Planters antoxidant nuts. I have drank 1 bottle of water all day though. I'm wondering if i'm not taking in the right calories to keep my body full until i eat again. What do you all think?

Replies

• panconester
    Options
    more water. more fiber. more fresh fruit and veggies- they make a GREAT snack and fill you up!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I have had several of those days....maybe you should chew some gum....to help with cravings.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That does not sound like enough food, I would be ravenous. 1 corn dog and chips for lunch. For starters not very healthy and the calories are empty. Try eating a larger more nutritious lunch 300-400 calories of whole grains, veggies and protein, and much more water.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    bulk up on vegetables.. makes a world of difference for health and hunger *S*
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    hhmm yes and no. How much water is one bottle? I have drank already 10 glasses of water so far. So 1 is you are not eating filling foods ie protein/fibre and or not enough water.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Everyone is different. If you're not full, these foods are not keeping YOU full and that's all that matters.

I am full and satisfied when I eat a diet full of healthy fats, protein and veggies. Some regular participants in my daily intake are:

Salmon, cod and tilapia
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Avocados
    Roasted eggplant, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, Brussels sprouts or any other veggie that you enjoy
    Spaghetti Squash
    Deli turkey
    Chicken sausage
    Fruit in moderation (usually apples and other fruits that take longer to eat. Easier for me to over eat bite sized fruits, but that's just me)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • blessedmommy2x
    Options
    I am pretty new at this... But I looked at your diary, you still have about 80 calories that you can use up. That can equal to some fruit,veggies or a light yogurt or a few other things that you can still eat. Also if you go over thats where exercise comes into play... adding in just a few "burned calories" will help fix any calorie overages.

*veggies are usually really low in calories so you can eat larger quantities of them and not over do it. Also they are good for you :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's the type of food that isn't keeping you full. You should be eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy. And you should get at least 8 glasses of water per day. Fresh, unprocessed foods are much lower in calories (and sodium, sugar, etc.) so you can eat more of them. You can eat enough to feel full and you won't be hungry right after eating.

For me, oatmeal has a lot of calories and isn't filling. I have a smoothie with fruits and vegetables, soy milk and soy protein powder for breakfast and it keeps me going for hours. I have a sandwich for lunch and carrots, celery and cucumbers. Now that I'm going to the gym again I have two snacks, Greek yogurt with dried cranberries in the morning, and an apple while I'm at school in the evenings.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you eat more fiber and protein. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and get hungry...I eat eggs or greek yogurt and I stay full after breakfast. I eat lots of veggies and beans at lunch and that helps the fullness factor. All calories are not made alike. Eating things that your body has to work harder digest will help you not to feel as hungry :)
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    It's the type of food that isn't keeping you full. You should be eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy. And you should get at least 8 glasses of water per day. Fresh, unprocessed foods are much lower in calories (and sodium, sugar, etc.) so you can eat more of them. You can eat enough to feel full and you won't be hungry right after eating.

For me, oatmeal has a lot of calories and isn't filling. I have a smoothie with fruits and vegetables, soy milk and soy protein powder for breakfast and it keeps me going for hours. I have a sandwich for lunch and carrots, celery and cucumbers. Now that I'm going to the gym again I have two snacks, Greek yogurt with dried cranberries in the morning, and an apple while I'm at school in the evenings.

I love oatmeal for breakfast . . . its low fat, so you can things like peanut butter, nuts or yogurt. Its a very healthy food . . . hard to go wrong with. corn dogs, on the other hand, probably high in calories and not getting as full for the same calories. Everyone pretty much summed it up for ya above. Good luck and keep it up!!
  • erickirb
    Options

For me, oatmeal has a lot of calories and isn't filling.

Really??? Oatmeal is very low in calories and should keep you full for a while as it has fiber and is digested slowly and expands a bit in the stomach. You must eat the instant packets?? or adding a bunch of higher fat milk and/or sugar. Instant packets are higher in cals do to the sugar content. When I eat oatmeal it is either quick oats or steel cut. (quick oats are different than instant)
  • shawana4
    Options
    wow thanks everyone. I just started back all of this but i will be grocery shopping this weekend and will make sure i get more veggie and fruit. I'm not a big veggie person so i'm not sure how i wil be able to pull that off. lol
  • Trjlove
    Options
    You are correct!! You are taking in empty calories...corndog..really!!! There are about 250 calories in a corndog, we won't talk about the additives that make you crave more junkie foods. You would have been better served taking those 250 calories and eating
    2 cups of spring mix, 1/4 cup tomatos, 1/3 cup cucumbers, 1 chicken breast or piece of chicken breast. You have to make better food choices. It also sounds like you need to spread your calories out and eat every hour.

Some snacks that are great...
    Organic whole wheat crackes (Bare Nature) 10 crackers = 70 calories
    Deli meat (Boars Head chicken breast = 100
    1 Piece of Colby Jack cheese cut into 10 pieces = 100

You can also take those crackers and put organic peanut butter on them...great snack and filling.

I hope this helps.
  • shawana4
    Options
    yes i eat the Quaker low suger instant oatmeal packets for breakfast at work.
  • shawana4
    Options
    peanut butter is out of the question i'm allergic but i totally understand.
  • erickirb
    Options
    yes i eat the Quaker low suger instant oatmeal packets for breakfast at work.
    The instant oatmeal is not healthy. You can buy bags of quick oats and take a serving in a container to work. Put oats in a bowl, pour boiling water over them, cover for 5 minutes, then they are ready to eat. Almost as fast as instant and much better for you. (quick oats are part of the eat clean diet)
  • shawana4
    Options
    OMG thanks so much i NEVER knew that about the instant oatmeal. I thought i was doing good but i guess i wasn't. I will put it on my grocery list for the weekend. lol thanks
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ditch the corn dog next time. I had some for lunch the other day and had the same problem. They are high in sodium maybe you just need a lot of water now.

I get the quick oats now. I have to add 1 TB brown sugar and/or honey. I tried those no sugar instant packets bleck. I don't know how you handle them.

Oh and they are right about the protein and fiber filling you up. Try out different veggies and different prep methods. After a while you will become accustomed to them and probably learn to like them. Don't do canned get frozen or fresh and learn to prepare them. A lot of people I know that say they don't like veggies are used to canned cooked to death veggies with no flavor.

Try fresh green beans cooked in olive oil and vinegar we add a little Parmesan to ours.
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Eric has a good point. Recently, I have become aware how far I have gotten away from eating "real" food and the impact that has had on my fitness level over the past 10 years. I have resorted to quick solutions like "instant" oatmeal or Lean Cuisines etc.to try and eat healthy in my busy day. But I was constantly hungry because my body didn't recognize the stuff I was eating and it wanted more "real" food like my ancestors ate for centuries.

Recently my mantra is if its not whole, I don't want it. The least processed the better and that is taking work to break some bad habits that I thought were good (ie., yogurt that is low cal but is full of so much sugar and crap, the benefits are lost!) At first, I felt betrayed by the food industry in seducing me into thinking I was eating well. Now, I realize that is my responsibility and I need take back my control/choice. My golden rule, if my great grandma would not recognze the food I am considering buying, I need to rethink it!
  • princesschikee
    Options
    To keep from feeling hungry, eating 5 small meals a day with the proper macronutrients will keep you energized and feeling full.
    Basically, your body should be fed at least every 3 hours with Carbs, Protein and Fat.