Any cyclist?

Options
I'm looking to buy a good road bike to exercise on something that nice and durable but not too expensive. Ive been having a lot of trouble finding bikes under 500 dollars :( I would like something preferably around 250-320$. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Replies

• Justinstrong
    Options
    I'm looking to buy a good road bike to exercise on something that nice and durable but not too expensive. Ive been having a lot of trouble finding bikes under 500 dollars :( I would like something preferably around 250-320$. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I got a bike for $200 from Canadian Tired... I guess that helps if you live in Canada... not sure if you do... But I use it just to bike on the road... I love it a lot it seems to work well. Its a Remmington, but I don't know too much about bikes. It works for what I need it for at least :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've been researching road bikes for a few weeks and you'll not find one under about $500-$600 for something that is more than a Wal-Mart Special. Unless you happen upon a used one, which I haven't found yet.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Hey, Canadian Tire is a bit better than walmart :cry: But I still love my bike haha it does the job :tongue:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I took his question to be about "road" bikes, which really aren't what you find at your average store--you have to go to a bike shop to buy a decent road bike. They're lighter, higher quality, and you get what you pay for with them. More speed, more efficiency.

I have a Hybrid I bought for $250 a couple of years ago that I use now but would LOVE a road bike! Maybe next spring.
  • Justinstrong
    Options
    I just found a vantara

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Products/Road/Comfort/#5615
    I'm unknowing when it comes to bikes, is it any good?
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    check www.bikesdirect.com

5 bikes under $500

At least you can change/replace components on them.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I just found a vantara

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Products/Road/Comfort/#5615
    I'm unknowing when it comes to bikes, is it any good?

Looks like mountain bikes to me--which would be slow on the road. and heavy!

If you're just getting into riding, you probably could pick up something used and cheap to decide if you like it or now first before putting a few hundred into a bike.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    The bike I got is very light. But what is a hybrid bike? My husband and I were looking at them.
  • stschulz
    Options
    Justin,

let's find out first what it is exactly that you want to do with that bike.

Are going to ride longer distances on the road?

Does it really have to be a road bike? I believe you can get mountain bikes cheaper than road bikes. Put other tires on it, and you can ride it on the road.

The bike you mentioned in your last post looks ok, but has lowest possible components. And "Only" 21 gears. That may be all you need, may be not. All depends on what you want to do with it. Get half an hour or hour exercise once or twice a week? For that it will do. More.... ?????

If you really seriously want to get into biking buy the best you can afford. Rather maybe wait another month if that is necessary. On the other hand if it is like "I don;t know what I want to do and how intensive..." maybe an inexpensive bike is good enough. You didn't loose much if you don't like biking.

All the biker here will of course tell you it is the best exercise possible, especially if you are overweight:wink:
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is buy something you will actually enjoy riding. If you don't like it then you won't ride it. The rest of my advice is to search for a local bike shop and don't buy the cheapest thing they have but get something you will not have to tinker with. Let them tinker with it, that's what they do. Some bike shops will let you rent a bike from them before you buy and then apply the cost of the rental to the purchase of any bike. The most important part of any bike is how it fits you, this is another thing a local bike shop can help you with. Don't worry about speed or carbon or things like that, get happy on the bike. In a year you will probably be so skinny you will want an upgrade. (Unless you get a dream bike now, that ain't gonna happen for $500) If you are riding alone almost anything will do, if you are going to keep up with a group then you need to be on a similar class of bike. :glasses:
  • Justinstrong
    Options
    Justin,

let's find out first what it is exactly that you want to do with that bike.

Are going to ride longer distances on the road?

Does it really have to be a road bike? I believe you can get mountain bikes cheaper than road bikes. Put other tires on it, and you can ride it on the road.

The bike you mentioned in your last post looks ok, but has lowest possible components. And "Only" 21 gears. That may be all you need, may be not. All depends on what you want to do with it. Get half an hour or hour exercise once or twice a week? For that it will do. More.... ?????

If you really seriously want to get into biking buy the best you can afford. Rather maybe wait another month if that is necessary. On the other hand if it is like "I don;t know what I want to do and how intensive..." maybe an inexpensive bike is good enough. You didn't loose much if you don't like biking.

All the biker here will of course tell you it is the best exercise possible, especially if you are overweight:wink:

I really just want a reliable bike that will help me loose weight. I started running awhile back, I'm 316lbs right now so running really kicks me hard in terms of working me out, but I'm afraid it isn't doing too much in terms of cardio because I'm only able to run for so long, and then walk, then run a little etc etc. So I'm thinking a bike would allow me to keep my heart rate up and loose weight more efficiently.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have a Trek 7.2 FX. We both love our bikes. We went to our local bike shop and we got them each for 419.99, which is cheaper than I have seen them elsewhere. They were a big help in deciding what to get. It is a nice hybrid and I am really, really enjoying it.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Justin, go to your local bike shop...not a big chain store, but a small local shop and tell them what you just told us. That is what I did and they hooked me up with exactly what I needed. They know what they are doing and selling and if you tell them what you want out the bike, then they should be able to find the perfect one for you. Good luck!
  • Justinstrong
    Options
    Alright next week on my day off I'll head over to the bike shop, I don't have one in my town but from what I hear theres one in the next town thats only 15 minutes away tops so I'll go ask them. Anyone else have any advise?
  • stschulz
    Options
    That's most likely the best advice, going to a bike shop. If they are any good they can at least point you in the right direction.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Alright next week on my day off I'll head over to the bike shop, I don't have one in my town but from what I hear theres one in the next town thats only 15 minutes away tops so I'll go ask them. Anyone else have any advise?

START SLOW!! INCREASE GRADUALLY!

It's taken me 3 months to work up to 35-40 miles rides once a week with shorter ride in between. Don't burn yourself out at first.

Pick some nice routes--check out mapmyride.com. It's a great site to use to plan your route ahead of time, and you can use it to check elevation, etc. it will also record your rides, allowing you to see monthly totals. AND, it gives you a great estimate on calories burned--it's almost right on with my HRM every time, as it uses speed, distance, age, and weight to calculate.

Biking is tremendous exercise! I can burn up close to 900 calories in a little under 2 hours--so about 500 an hour! You'll burn more given your age, sex, and weight!